{10}

Rebecca

. . .

The door flies open and Kai's teeth that had been nipping at my shoulder sink all of the way in, so deep that I'm sure he's drawn blood. I moan in pain, cringing away from his lips as my hands fly up to cover my breasts.

The bite mark is throbbing and it's all I can focus on, falling into Kai's open arms.

"Shit," Kai murmurs. "What the fuck do you want Mace? I don't remember giving you permission to enter!"

"The lockdown is up, and I need to talk to you," he growls.

Kai groans. "Fine. But right now, get. The fuck. Out," he spits the words through gritted teeth. I'm unable to move, the pain in my shoulder strikingly immobilizing and debilitating. I hear Mason grumble something under his breath before the clinking sound of the wallet chain he always wears follows with the sound of the door slamming. 

"My neck," I cry out as Kai tries to pry me off of his chest. "Did you...Did you draw blood?"

Once again he murmurs 'shit,' and then he's no longer attempting to seperate us. Kai wraps his arms around my lower back and forces us to sit up.

He shushes me, murmuring sweet nothings when I cry out in pain. He then picks me up, carrying me toward the closet. I'm sure I blackout as he does so, as when I open my eyes a second later, I'm dressed in one of my halter neck dresses and being carried toward the main office.

My eyelids droop with the effort to stay open.

"Nurse Hampton! Nurse Hampton! Dammit, Sierra!" Kai's voice rings clear in my head, but I can't find the effort to look at him or tell him to lower his voice. 

I whimper as he falls into a sprint, calling for the nurse as he places me on a cot. As Kai's body leaves mine, I begin to shiver, my body turning to ice.

"Shit! She's burning up!" A female voice, presumably Nurse Hampton, mutters as an ice-cold hand is placed on my head.

No, I'm not, I want to yell. But I can't, I can't even open my eyes to look at them.

"Kai," I croak finally, my voice barely above a whisper."Shh, I'm right here baby." His hand finds mine, and he presses his lips to my temple. I hang on to that point of contact like a lifeline, using it to ground me against the overwhelming sensations.

Another set of footsteps echo in the small nurse station. I frown, or I think I do, as I realize it's more than one set of footsteps. And as the people attached to said feet enter the begin to speak, I realize there are three of them.

All of our parents.

Where I had begun to thaw with the warmth provided by Kai's touch begins to refreeze as suddenly his hand is ripped from mine. I let out a whimper, my fingers twitching to have him back in my grasp when my father's voice booms in a way that I'd never heard it. "What did you do?!"

My mom's icy presence envelopes me in place of where Kai had been. "Oh baby, you're gonna be okay." She places a hand on my cheek, but her touch provides none of the comforts that Kai offered, instead it adds to the tiny pinpricks of cold that hurt so much they've caused me to be devoid of sensation.

I'm just... numb.

"Unhand him, Leo," Kai's father instructs. The entire room seems to vibrate with his words, much like Mufasa's roar.

"Joseph. She is my daughter and she is more fragile than he is. I will not settle for him breaking her on purpose or on accident!"

Kai's garbled voice breaks through the tension my father's words causes and my body almost trembles as it sounds like he's being choked. "I... marked... her."