{39}

Kai

. . .

The only actual cars on campus belong either to teachers or to other students. And while I could get us possession of all of them with a wave of my hand, I'd really rather not.

Just thinking about Rebecca on the other side of a car's console makes me feel empty inside.

It's not a feeling that's enjoyable.

Wordlessly, I dress in only sweatpants and a shirt, easily removable so that I'm not wasting time stripping myself when I shift.

It's a bit of a ride to her parents' house so Rebecca grabs a small backpack to put my clothes in while she rides.

We leave the dorms, less empty than it was when we entered, but no one's socializing. Their either reeling from Leo's betrayal, my father's demise, or Chev's brush with death.

As I pass by his and Heaven's dorm room, I realize they've returned, though they're still going at it.

Outside is free from students, both human and werewolf, and I realize it must be because they likely saw my father's body being taken away.

Word has probably spread already, and with Leo soon to be out of commission as well, we were going to be really short on administrators.

I wonder what Reese's degree is in.

We reach the edge of the forest and I smile involuntarily, seeing as the trees and everything else seems to perk up in Rebecca's presence.

She can make monsters out of saplings, and yet this is what amazes me.

Without even trying, she causes them to flourish. 

It's beautiful. 

I strip quickly, folding my clothes roughly before handing them to Rebecca. Shifting, I lower myself to the ground so she can climb up easier, and find myself letting out a wolfy purr as she tangles her hands in my fur to keep herself steady.

Werewolf fur is fucking dense, like a damned chincilla's... or shag carpeting. 

Unwilling to let myself get distracted by how good that feels, I break into a brisk jog, before slowly speeding up.

The trip to her parents' pack house would take nearly an hour by car, but by wolf? We're looking at twenty minutes tops.

The trees and things pass in green blurs. I'm not even sure I'm looking at where we're going, though I dutifully avoid things that could slow us down.

Rebecca is quiet on my back, though she's far from silent, whispering ooh's and aah's and letting out little shrieks of fear when I jump a bit too high. She's loosened her death grip on me and holds on with one hand—reaching out to passing greenery with the other.

I'm certain we're leaving a half bloomed forest in our wake.

We've reached the very last clearing to the house, and here I find myself looking around.

This is the clearing in which many of the battles to aid Leo's pack were fought. Where Karen's mate probably died at.

I frown. 

I want to believe that if she had said something about him, that he wouldn't be dead, but I know that's not true.

If he was a pack warrior, for Leo's or for my pack, he would have fought anyway, just as Heaven and Chev had—just as I had.

Caught up in my thoughts, I don't realize I've stumbled until Rebecca lets out a squeak, both hands finding my fur and gripping tightly. 

I look down and see I've tripped over a freshly filled hole.