{36}

Rebecca

. . .

Karen stands beside the open trunk of the car Kai came out of, the gun she had pointed at me earlier back in her hand. "Not so fucking fast," she growls, aiming for me one again.

"Or maybe not," Max's mate whispers.

"You didn't tie her up?!" Mason hisses to Kai.

"She was in the trunk!"

At once multiple wolves move to take her out, but she points the gun at a fallen tree and pulls the trigger, causing the wood to splinter in multiple directions. "Nobody fucking move!"

 They continue to advance.

"There are wolfsbane bullets in this thing!"

They still at that, and Karen laughs. It's now that I notice her cheeks are flushed as tears slide over her cheeks. "You see... I had a mate," she announces with some hesitation, voice cracking. "He was... my everything." She begins moving, stepping toward me, her aim never wavering. "But then you," she aims the gun at Kai, "You and your little deal made it so that he died, fighting a battle that was none of our goddamned business," Karen interrupts herself with a sniffle, and wipes her face with her free hand, turning the gun back to me. "You took away my mate—I take away yours."

Karen's finger slides to the trigger, and I turn to Kai. 'I love you,' I mouth, keeping my eyes on him as I await my inevitable death.

"Karen," Mason grumbles, and everyone pays attention.

Even I find myself looking at him. A man of few words—when he speaks you listen. Because he doesn't seem like the type to repeat himself.

"He cheated on Reese and birthed that," he kicks at Slate's body. "He killed his own mate. Made you an accomplice to it. Why should you be loyal to him? It will not bring your mate back."

It's far from a hero's speech but effective in it's own right, enough that Karen's grip on the gun loosens. As does Kai's grip on my father.

Leo shoves out of my mate's grasp and lunges for Slate's discarded crossbow, aiming for Max's mate.

My eyes widen in horrified shock. Those arrows are tipped with wolfsbane points, they'd kill everyone here. I'm sure everyone else expects the same, but we all find ourselves letting out various sounds of shock as the arrow bounces right off of her porcelain skin.

My father looks at the fallen arrow with fear clear in his eyes. It would have been one thing to kill death. It's another to try and miss. He doesn't even have time to even try and recock it before Kai has him on his knees once again, Mason assisting him.

In all of the commotion to secure my father, no one pays attention to Karen. Mason's speech got to her, as it was meant to, but I watch in petrified silent horror as she seems to mull over his words.

She shakes her head frantically, deciding something. She places the gun beneath her own wobbly chin, and murmurs, just loud enough to garner the attention of everyone else. "I'm coming, Danny." I look away as she pulls the trigger, unable to watch as the shot rings out and Karen is officially the second life.

What does that mean for my father?

The pack behind us howls and I open my eyes, surveying the scene, not looking to where Karen's undoubtedly lifeless body lays. I think they're howling for her death when I look back at them. The wolf that had appeared completely covered in blood is surrounded, and a naked Heaven lays sobbing beside its body. Seconds pass and the wolf shifts into Chev, who is now dead with a long splintered slice going through his torso.

Dammit.

Max's mate, whose name I really need to learn, purses her lips rolling them inward before she cocks her head again. "Shit, that's too many." She does it again. "That's way too many." She opens her scroll, seeming to be mentally ticking off the names on it. She nods at the list in understanding and then turns to me. "Let's get you out of that, shall we?"

As though just noticing that I've been laying on a rock and coated in tape, Mason bends down to free me from most of the tape.

"Leave my hair, please," I ask when he tries to remove the tape from it.

When I'm freed and standing, Max's mate steps to me. "You have to bring them back."

"What? I don't... You... Can't you do that?" 

She looks at me, her gaze bored. "Listen, you aren't my first choice. Hell, you aren't even the one we would usually go to. You're just the one nearest and capable. Raphael is busy."

Without awaiting an explanation—mostly because I'm not sure I would be given one—I allow her to lead me over to Chev's body. She forces me to kneel. "Tell him to wake up."

I'm trembling. I know I am. And as she places my hands on his bloodied body, next to Heaven's sobbing face, I can feel it worsening.

I bring things to life! I make fucking plants grow, I'm not... I'm half-demon.

Can I even do this?

"Are you sure I—"

"Use the voice. Do it."

Her soft voice has hardened and leaves no room for arguments, but still, I hesitate.

Sensing this, Heaven, who I've never seen show any emotion whatsoever, turns to me, her tears still falling over her flushed cheeks. "Please Becca, just... try."

I nod, and focusing this time, place both of my hands on either side of Chev's wound. I close my eyes, trying to replicate the power I felt earlier. 'Don't be dead.' The words are all that I've got and I'm not sure they'll work when I feel skin moving beneath my palms.

My eyes fly open and I watch as in glorious seconds the wound seems to grow shut, healing itself quickly and seconds after it closes, Chev's eyes fly open.

Heaven trembles, hyperventilating as she attacks him with kisses.

I look at Max's mate wide eyed. But she just smiles sadly at me. "There's one more."

She leads me back to the car, and I expect her to go for Karen, but instead she heads to the trunk of the car where Karen emerged from.

My mother lays lifeless and limp, her eyes wide as the arrow still protrudes from her neck. 

I frown. When we get a chance, I'll have to ask Kai why he did this.

"Do you have a name?" I ask, finally, trying my best to distract myself as she pulls the arrow out and tosses it over her shoulder. 

"Biblically?" She purses her lips, placing my hands on my mother's body, as though sensing I wouldn't be able to do it myself. "Azrael."

Same as before, I will my mother back to life, not thinking about her clouded eyes or ice cold skin, just pleading for the one parent I've ever had to come back.

When she begins coughing, I finally look at her, and grab her in my arms, holding her like she held me when things would get bad.

I realize I'm sobbing when a blurry Azrael makes her way back to Max.

"See you later, Rae," Max whispers. The pair share a kiss before she disappears in a flash of light.

. . .

Is it Friday where I am? No. Is it Friday anywhere else? Yes.

Las Vegas, Anchorage, San Francisco, Phoenix, Seattle, Vancouver, Honolulu, and Los Angeles. Just to name a few. 

So don't shame me.

I went outside for the first time this month.

Again—this chapter does not feel as happy-dappy as I wanted it to. But alas, it is the chapter I wanted to write.

Next update on Monday, remember to stay safe.♥

😊✌🏽