{31}

Rebecca

. . .

We move away from the spa and scalding tears roll down my cheeks as I gape at my father. "He killed mom," I whisper in horror.

My father simply nods, his usual happy, buisness-man, brightness gone from his face. The look he gives me is one full of resolution, though that doesn't make it any less haunted.

"I know... It was a hard decision. Hurt like hell," he grimaces, pressing a hand to his throat. "But, your mother wasn't prepared for what I have in store for us. It may be just the two of us now, but as a family—" 

With his last sentence, he placed his hand on top of my cuffed ones, causing me to yank away in disgust.

Seeing that I'm not accepting whatever the hell this is, he nods as though he expected this.

"I knew you'd react this way. I didn't want to kill your mother in front of you. But, I needed you to see how important this is."

"What is this?!" I hiss, waving my cuffed hands to indicate the car we sit in. "Huh? What could you possibly be doing that involves kidnapping me, and killing mom?! She was your mate, dad!"

His dead eyes perk up and that businessman look returns. "I almost forgot you know what we are now," he says, smiling slightly as he looks out the window. "Rebecca, your mother may not have known what you were. But, I knew. I always knew you were special. Knew you would be the one to fix the horrible mistake I made when I thought I had no other choice."

He knew? "What choice?"

"It has been agreed that when the Silverman boy comes of age, our two packs will solidify their alliance by becoming one, under his rule. I can't let that happen, sweetheart, he was only thirteen when that deal was made!"

"Well, what the hell am I supposed to do?!" I screech, tugging uselessly at my handcuffs. "What was killing mom supposed to do? What are they supposed to do?!" I whip my head forward, indicating the couple who sit in the front seat. Karen and Slate remain quiet, merely soldiers who await instruction from the psychopath beside me.

"Your mother was fine with giving up control, she didn't see the bigger picture. Karen has her reasons, as does Slate. Now you, you my darling daughter, haven't even begun to reach your potential."

When I say nothing, simply glare at him, my tears drying and my lips feeling chapped, he continues.

"I spoke to an oracle. She foresaw you. Powerful beyond all means. Half demon, half wood nymph. You will save our pack. Save our family. It's destined."

Holy hell, he's... he's a goddamned idiot, but he's an idiot who's looking out the window again. "Yeah, you really shouldn't have killed mom." I sniffle as pull the lock on the door, and jump out, tucking and rolling on the asphalt, wincing as I feel myself being scraped up.

I roll for only about ten seconds when I hear the car slow to a stop and the doors open. 

As quickly as possible, I stand, willing my wings out into the open, surprised that it works on the first try, and as best as I can, I take off at a run.

The second I'm lifted off of the ground, I nearly cry out in delight. I can feel my father swiping at my feet, but he's not tall enough, and soon I'm gone.

Instinctively, I head for the direction of school. For Kai. So that he can stop whatever the hell it is Leo is planning. But, my relief is terribly short lived when a simple sentence literally causes my entire world to come crashing down.