{22}

Rebecca

. . .

I can see myself, my body literally floating away in granular particles as if I've been Thanos snapped away. 

As I dissipate into nothing, I let out a agonized wail. I've been in pain for literal days, I've seen shit so impossible that even Stephenie Meyer wouldn't believe it, and now I'm here. Wherever this is.

I'd been unable to close my eyes, so I simply watched in stupified horror as I was silently blown away with the wind, taking only a few seconds before I was whole again. 

No longer grains of semi-human sand, I sat on my knees in the center of a doorway, a circle of brown and white dust surrounding me. Along with the dust are miniature trinkets. Dolls, tiny garden gnomes, elves, even miniature cottages.

"Holy shit, Ambs," a voice gasps, and realizing that I'm not alone, I slowly raise my eyes to where a pair of pre-teens gawk at me.

A boy with shaggy black hair pushes himself nearly to the ceiling as he stands on the back of a green couch, holding a throw pillow like a shield; directly in front of me, her mouth open in a silent squeal, a red-haired little girl jumps excitedly.

"I told you they were real, Beau!"

She pokes a finger in my general direction and I flinch backward. "What's real?" I ask in a panic. Logically of course she's probably only ten or twelve, and even as tiny as I am, I could probably take her, but she's dragged me to here, away from Kai. She can't be trusted.

"Fairies, duh! She's so pretty, isn't she?" 

This time, she manages to grab a lock of my hair, rubbing it between her tiny fingers and tugging on it before I yank my head out of reach.

"Sorry!" She apologizes profusely.

The little boy slowly lowers himself from his perch, though he still holds his pillow in a white-knuckled grasp.

"It's okay," I mumble, though I grab my hair in my own hands, keeping it out of reach as I eye her warily. "I didn't get your name, but—"

The girl, who'd initially looked at me as if I was Beyoncé dipped in gold with a diamond encrusted plauque, narrowed her eyes at me as though I'd killed a puppy. "Oh, no! I'm not giving you my name. I know how fairies work!"

Her words cause a strangled cough to escape me. "How what works?!"

The little girl's chocolate colored eyes widen in shock. "Oh... you must be a new fairy."

"Or she's a demon, you dumbass! Look at those fucking bat wings!" Beau shouts.

"Language," I admonish him, a pure reflex.

"English, you psycho!" The little boy screeches from where he stands, holding an LED light saber as if to protect himself from me

"Beau, stop it! Fairies can't lie, so she probably didn't—"

He shakes his head, inching closer to us before yanking her away from me. "That's cause she's not a friggin fairy, Amber!"

I scooch backward, but flinch as I do so, my the tips of my wings are instantly on fire, as though they've been singed. "Ah!"

"I'm sorry!" Amber pushes passed Beau, and begins to sweep away the brown and white circle of powder that surrounds us. "It's salt and cinnamon," she explains when I watch her motions warily. "Fairy summoning circle."

Oh my God, I wish I was back with Kai. "Then why did it summon me?!"

She purses her lips, her cheeks turning the color of her hair, and the silence makes me notice that Beau has just resigned himself to Amber's decision and looks on the verge of a pre-teen heart attack. "You're probably only half-fairy. The book says the ones like you wouldn't have known until they're sixteen."