{20}

Rebecca

. . .

I shoot up with  a gasp, momentarily disoriented. However, my eyes have yet to open and that s exactly why I end up headbutting someone I assume to be Kai, that is hovering over me. Kai who is a werewolf.

"Ouch?"

"Shit, I'm sorry!" Kai doesn't sound the least bit in pain, meanwhile I now have a rapidly pounding headache as a result of feeling what very well could have been a metric ton of cement.

When my eyes open, it takes my vision a moment to clear. I look toward the waterfall whose steady flow shelters us from view. It doesn't appear any lighter or darker outside, so I don't think much time has passed.

As if sensing my unspoken question, Kai offers some relief in the form of an answer. "You were only out a minute. How's your head?"

Not giving me a chance to answer he reaches out for me, and though my body instinctively leans into his touch, I find myself jerking away. Instantly he pulls his hand away, his expression slightly haunted. I wait with bated breath for his reaction, the stony silence only disturbed by the rushing water beside us, adding to the anxious mood.

"Look," Kai begins, and I can see that I won't like where this is going. His brown eyes are cast down, his bare chest puffed as he takes shallow breaths, kneeling beside me on the air mattress.

This is no longer Kai. Not the one I've grown to love. But also not a stranger to me. This Kai is the same one who appears when he speaks to his father. No longer a person, a man, but a boy. One who was forced to be strong when his father could not. A soldier.

"When I told you about this, I wasn't being"—literal?—"very thorough. I just gave you the basics. What I didn't tell you is that..." And he becomes himself again, though only for a millisecond. His expression revealing a fear and worry that he isn't voicing. "You don't have to be with me."

No.

"You aren't bound to this mate thing."

Shut up.

"You can reject me at any ti—"

"Stop talking." My tongue feels thick as I force the words out of my mouth. Kai flinches at my words but says nothing.

I watch as he nods solemnly. "I get it. You need time t—"

"Stop fucking talking." This time the words come out through gritted teeth and Kai finally looks up at me, eyes flashing green. "I," I swallow the lump in my throat that has suddenly appeared. "I love you, Kai."

Kai inhales a sharp breath as my statement settles over the both of us.

"You're stuck with me." I can't think of anything else to stay, so instead, I wrap my hands around his neck, noting vaguely that there is little resistance from my overheated body and that my headache seems to have dissipated, and drag his lips to mine.

The tingling sensation that I've grown accustomed to increases tenfold and Kai moans into my mouth.

With absolutely no assistance from me, Kai begins attempting to pull away. As he tries to speak, I continue to kiss him, swinging a leg over both of his so that I'm straddling him, giving me free range of motion to grind myself on his bare erection, a replay from before.