{37}

Kai

. . .

I realize all too late as the girl dressed in all white disappears—two lives had been claimed, so does that mean that Leo is to live?

I can't let that happen.

He deserves death. 

A grueling, agonizing death. If not at my hands than at least Rebecca's behest. Or hell, maybe even Reese's.

When I remember Reese, who my mate has just brought back from the dead, I look over at them. Clasped tightly in one another's embrace, I doubt I'd be able to slip a piece of paper between them if I tried.

I try my best not to listen to their mumbled words of joy as they rock together and force my focus to my beta who isn't even trying to fend off his mate who clings to him like a spider monkey.

Thank fuck he's alive.

My father's death was one thing. I was desensitized to that notion. My mother's hurt when she was alive. But, love for one's parents is more obligational than not at that age. So, for those few seconds where I couldn't mind-link with him, could hear that he was hollow inside—not breathing and his heart not pumping any blood, that was real pain.

I know it'd be worse if Rebecca had gotten hurt. 

Hell, that tape hurt my skin and it hadn't even touched me.

But my best friend, a bond formed over several years of fighting side-by-side, I'd be damned if I said I would be able to just keep going after that. I need to spend more time with that fucker.

Mason clears his throat beside me, offering to take hold of Leo, and I let him.

We should leave the clearing. 

No need to give that fucker any space to run again.

"Stick him in the trunk. And bind him this time," I add with a half smirk.

Mace chuckles but nods, dragging Leo by an arm and a leg, hitting his head on rocks and fallen trees as he pulls him to the car.

I inhale deeply, trying to cool my rapidly beating heart. 

Now what the fuck does an alpha do after a war? And what the hell do I tell Karen's parents? What the hell do I do with no parents?

I've been prepped for most situations but really, I can't remember a damned thing right now. I wonder briefly if I can ask Rebecca to bring my father back, but I won't. 

He's undoubtedly happier where ever the fuck he is and would probably choke me again if he found out I couldn't handle this.

Taking another deep breath to steel myself, I ask for two of the pack warriors to come and get both Karen and Slate's bodies.

Whilst they get to work pulling the corpses away, I head for Rebecca and Reese who still haven't moved, even as Leo was shoved into the trunk.

"Luna Reese," I say to get her attention, stepping closer to the mother and daughter. "Would you like to head to your pack house, or to the school?"