{12}

Rebecca

. . .

I am still reeling from what I heard as I exited my hospital room. I'm not sure what the two were talking about before I entered the room, but those last few words completely floored me.

"I love her."

I can't stop myself from blushing as I continue to replay the words in my head. It's way too soon for him to feel that way, and also for me to even wonder if I feel the same.

I know I feel something, with every touch, kiss, and caress that causes warmth to flood my body. With how I find how insufferable he is to be a cute quirk rather than a toxic trait as it would appear to some. And with how when things got hot and heavy I found it being me who was pulling him closer and pushing past the line of too much too fast.

But does that mean love?

I'm shaken from my existential crisis when Mason parks his car at the school. He waits until Kai has safely extracted me from the vehicle to get out on his own, making a beeline for the senior dorm buildings, with a quick wave as a farewell.

I let out a quiet yip as I find myself hoisted up in Kai's arms once more. My mouth attempts to let out the quick defense of 'I can walk' when I remember my resolution from the day before. Kai obviously hasn't felt loved by someone he cares for in several years. I relax into his hold, eyes closing in contentment as nuzzle his neck, holding my teddy bear close to my chest, ignoring the crinkle of my discharge papers tucked in his shirt.

I smile slightly to myself, relaxing as I try to filter through my emotions regarding Kai. This is... nice.

. . .

We make it through the night and the next school day with no setbacks.

Cheerleading tryouts begin much more smoothly than before, as Max has joined me, stopping me from being excluded by the others.

The dozens of us watch as in alphabetical order, we are called up to give our performance. Frankie, last name being DeLuccia, was one of the first to try out. My heart drops to my belly as I watch her perform, she's graceful and just... perfect! I gather as much confidence as possible— there's absolutely no way she won't make captain.

I watch the faces of the judges. They each take a few minutes to tally up her points, before writing her average score on their dry erase boards.

I'm fairly certain my jaw has come unhinged as I see Mr. Macabee has given her a six. Seeing the low number beside all of the nines, I close my mouth, pursing my lips as I look at Kai's board. A solid seven and a half, written so small it can't be seen by the students behind me, sits in the middle of the board. 

Kai glowers at Frankie who scowls back at him, before finally she backs down. Frankie scampers back to her place on the bleachers, but not without throwing a glare in my direction as well.

A few more people pass and then finally it's my turn.

I give my best shot, and do pretty good in my opinion, though on my last high kick, my steps falter and I nearly fall to the floor. I recover quickly though, fixing my stance before finishing my routine. I watch in stupified awe as the signs slowly go up. I've been given three tens, and one eight—Mr. Macabee is extremely pernickety—but the last is a nine and a half, surprisingly from Kai.

I quirk my eyebrow at him, in curiousity rather than challenge. 'Later,' he mouthes at me.

I nod, skipping back to my place beside Max. She's been more withdrawn in the time that I've returned. She's not rudely concise like Heaven, but she's also not as extroverted as she usually is. I make a mental note to gently inquire about it later.

As we watch the others try out, we gossip quietly to ourselves. Not being catty, just pointing out possible improvances. Karen tries out and though she scores an eight from Mr. Macabee, Kai gives her a three, causing her to scowl as she stomps away. 

Finally, with Max being the last to try out, receiving a staggering four tens, the highest that anyone has recieved, and one nine point four from Kai.

It's a tenth less than I recieved from him, and I can tell as I listen in on the whispers from around me; the girls have noticed and they aren't holding their tongues about Kai's favor for me.

I blush in embarrassment, hiding behind my hair until the girls finally silence.

No one makes any further comments as Max is given the captain title, followed by me and one of the boys as co-captains. We are finally dismissed and Max and the others retreat to their designated dorm buildings.

Kai makes his way toward me as the crowd disperses, and hand in hand we head to our bedroom as well. 

"So," I chirp once we close our door behind us, being a bit louder than necessary to make sure I have his attention. "How come I got a nine and a half?"

Kai chuckles, taking off his uniform that he hadn't changed. His black hair is ruffled on the sides from where he had placed his head in his hands as a result of his boredom, but it quickly turns worse as he yanks his tie over his head.

"Hmm..." he hums, shucking his pants and tossing them into his hamper.

"Hmm?" He rolls his eyes at me, and they flash green once more before he gives me his answer. "You could have hurt yourself."

I frown. None of the other judges had seemed to notice my stumble, except for maybee Mr. Macabee, but I'm sure he's just a dick on purpose. Seeing my reaction he nods. "Yeah. And we don't need that happening." Kai leans down, forcing me to realize he's suddenly in my personal space, towering over me. I think he's going to whisper something in my ear, but he doesn't. Kai simply places a chaste kiss on my cheek. "Ever," he finishes as he pulls away.

He pulls a pair of sweatpants from a drawer and slips them on before hopping into bed.

I'm still frozen in place, though I'm not sure why. His words weren't so on the nose that he was saying he loved me again, but the emotion behind them had me rooted to the spot. He meant them with such a fierceness that I could feel his sincerity within me.

Woah.

😊✌🏽

DOUBLE UPDATE UNTIL I CAN UPLOAD THE NEXT CHAPTERS FROM MY LAPTOP! xo