{30}

Rebecca

. . .

There are lots of things that I could be doing right now.

Homework, eating... taking a pregnancy test because Kai and I didn't use protection until we'd been given a box of condoms. But, I'm not.

And what I am doing right now would be far more relaxing if my mother would stop pestering me about Kai.

Less than five feet apart, at my mother's favorite spa, a half hour away from the school—away from Kai. A spa which, like most places I'm finding, is run by werewolves, my mother and I lay on massage tables, free to talk without being assumed as crazy.

Surrounded on all sides by the scent of soothing lavendar, and ocean sounds, I wish I could take the time to just... be.

"Are you sure this isn't a bit too much, too soon for you? I mean honestly, dear. I didn't meet your father until I was turning twenty-five."

But I can't.

I let out a sigh, partly out of exasperation and partly because my masseuse has begun working on the soles of my feet.

"Mom," I groan. "You know, better than I do, how this stuff works. And what I have with Kai feels right."

She lets out a sigh of her own, and I hear her shuffling around on her side of the room. "I'm sure you think you love Kaius right now, but, you're in high school, sweetie. And what you feel is just a product of the magic—yours and his."

"But it isn't, mom. I liked him before I found out, and learning he was pretty much made for me, how could I not love him?"

My mother waits a beat, alowing the room to fill with the deafening non-silence of a whale's call. "Right, you do realize that supports my argument?"

Thankfully she can't see me, so I roll my eyes. "What I'm trying to say is, yes the magic may have sped up our relationship, but even if it hadn't, the end result would most likely have been the same. So why fight it?"

She doesn't answer me, simply lets out a defeated sigh..

And apparently that's all that needs to be said.

. . .

My hair has been neatly trimmed, and rather than its usual style, lies pin straight down my back. Each strand perfectly in place.

My toe and finger nails are being painted pale green, with gold and white detailing, and my mother and I have moved on to less hostile topics of discussion.

"I met a succubus once. Let's just hope you don't end up with the fangs or the tail," my mom laughs.

I giggle along with her. "I think the fairy in me dims that."

We both laugh at that, but it fades, as I recall the question that wandered my mind as a child, and as I've learned I'm so much less than human has resurfaced with newfound intensity.

"Mom," I ask, my sudden somber tone grabbing her attention immediately. "If magica couples are so... perfect, then why didn't mine keep me?"

I look over at my mom, who gawps at me. Her mouth open and closes like a fish as she struggles for words. 

"Well... sweetheart, not all magical couples are perfect. Just the werewolves... and the mermaids, though they don't have mates, they just—"