Chapter 28 - The Guys

Hi again! Hope you enjoy!

********

JESSE

I was sitting next to Jonah. He'd been playing on his phone at first, but had probably gotten tired of fighting the glare from the sun. I know that's why my phone was laying face down next to me on my towel while I looked out over the ocean. It seemed like he was suddenly interested in where I was looking. Hannah and Ethan had caught my attention. I was wondering what they were talking about. It looked like they were having a good time.

"You should just go join them if you're that interested," Jonah said.

I looked over at him. "Those two have to talk sometime. Besides, your sister looks like she's having fun," I answered.

"What were you two doing outside this morning?" he asked. I knew he was giving us weird looks when we'd come in from the porch.

"Talking to my mom," I replied vaguely, trying not to think about how perfectly Hannah had fit against me. My eyes wandered back to where Ethan and Hannah were interacting.

"Have you talked to Rachel lately? Your girlfriend?" he asked. I thought his tone sounded slightly accusatory.

"I talked to her last night when we got here and this morning before my shower," I said.

"That's good. I don't think she'd be happy to hear that you're on the beach watching my sister," he said.

"Sheesh, Jonah, you too?" I asked, exasperation in my voice. "Hannah and I are friends, nothing more. Rachel and I are in a committed relationship. We love each other. She trusts me when we're not together."

"She thinks you and Hannah like each other," he said.

"Hannah and I love each other, but because we've grown up together, not because we want to sleep with each other. We're not in love with each other," I said, sounding like a girl but not knowing any other way to describe it. Sometimes the ladies knew their stuff.

Jonah stared at me for a minute, then said, "Regardless, Rachel is worried."

Then it dawned on me that I wasn't sure how Jonah even knew my girlfriend. "How do you know Rachel?" I asked.

"Her mom is my boss at the hotel. Sometimes Rachel comes in and hangs out with some of us. When she found out my last name was Drake, she asked if I knew Hannah. At the time, Hannah was her student teacher. Rachel began to ask me questions about Hannah, then later about you, so we sort of became friends," he explained. "Of course, lately we've discussed her concerns with your closeness to Hannah."

"That's funny. She never once mentioned knowing you," I said.

Jonah closed his eyes and pursed his lips.  "That doesn't surprise me.  I'm just some guy that works for her mother," he said.

He sounded kind of disappointed, but what did I know?  I guess he was sort of a spy for Rachel.  Other than our little situation this morning, what did he have to report?  I wasn't cheating on Rachel.  I would never do something like that.  Not even if I did develop feelings for another girl.  I'd tell Rachel first, break it off.  At least I hoped I'd be a good enough person to do that.