Chapter 42 - The Guys

It's been awhile, but I'm back. I hope it was worth the wait. It took me forever to finally get to this point, but ........ well, read and find out! 

********

GABE

Hannah had it bad for Jesse. I felt for her as I pulled away from her house, but I was anxious to get back to Josie. I couldn't believe how attached I'd gotten to her in such a short time. Who would have thought that I'd be falling for a woman with such weird make up techniques and a somewhat pudgy figure?  She was the opposite of all the women I'd dated in the past, but I didn't care. We had a great time together, and I was definitely smitten with her. 

She had driven me home when I'd had too much to drink during a staff get together a few weeks ago. I'd thought at first I'd slept with her, but she hadn't allowed anything to happen.  She'd slept on my sofa and prepared me breakfast the next morning.  I took her out for a thank you dinner a few days later and that was when we'd ended up in bed. 

I wasn't sure what it was about her, but she was amazing. For one, she got me. I didn't have to explain what I was feeling or what I wanted. She just knew. I hoped she felt the same way about me. Also, she seemed content with me. She wasn't constantly flirting with other guys.

Hannah hadn't flirted with other guys either, but she'd been sidetracked by Jesse, even if she hadn't realized it. What adult, no matter how young, wanted to admit they had the hots for a high school kid, no matter how close to graduation he was? It sounded bad, no matter how innocent it actually was. Regardless, she wouldn't have to worry about that a week from now. I wasn't even sure if she'd do anything about her feelings. Guess all I could do was sit back and wait to see if anything became of her crush.

Josie, on the other hand, was all mine, baggage free and eager to explore the possibilities of our relationship. I texted her when I was stopped at the light to let her know I'd be back soon. She told me she had something to tell me.  I wondered what it was about.

It was nice to date someone with an outlook on life similar to mine.  One date led to another, then another.  I was now to the point where I found myself thinking about her throughout my entire day.  I figured I'd be asking her to move in soon.  We'd kept our relationship under the radar so far, but we were planning on going public after school was out for the year. 

********
When walking into the banquet hall, I spotted Josie.  I walked over and asked, "What's up?"

"You're old girlfriend might be getting some company," she said, a twinkle in her eye.

"Huh?" I asked, not sure what she meant.

"Jesse Malick just came running down the stairs with his top buttons undone and his tie untied looking for Hannah," she said.  "And I thought Ethan had it bad for her when we were in high school.  Jesse had looked frantic, like he couldn't wait another minute to find her."

I smiled.  "Well, she's got it bad for him, too.  I just hope she remembers he's still in high school for another week," I said.

"Yeah," Josie said. 

"Anyway, " I began, "enough about Hannah.  I say we get out there and dance!"

She laughed, her eyes crinkling and her head tilting in such a way I wanted to kiss her.  Unfortunately, that would make our relationship public earlier than planned.  There would be one fewer group of students to gossip about us if we just waited another week or so.