Chapter 24- The Family Reunion

Chapter 24

Walking from the elevator was probably felt like the longest thing all day. Although the day went super slow, this walk seemed slower. Once I reach the door, it was luckily unlocked. Opening it, I drop all the bags I had in my hands, I slip off my shoes. I begin to walk to find Shane.

I can't hold back anymore. I just can't. I close my eyes and breathe. The feeling in my throat returns, it feels like it's closing over, almost like there's a throbbing pain. It feels like my heart is in my throat. When people say that, it's because it's true. It's hard to breathe. Taking a deep, shaky breath, I can't hold it in anymore. I lean against the wall. My hand covering my mouth, trying to cover the sounds that are about to come from my mouth.

Sliding down the wall tears begin to fall and uncontrollable sobs fall from my mouth. Heaving, I try and calm down. But my attempts fail and leave me crying harder.

Shane appears right in front of me grabbing my arms. "Alex, what's wrong," my teary eyes won't let me see him clearly. I can hear him ask the question over and over yet I don't have the courage to say anything. He ends up picking me up, I sob into his shoulder.

He sits on the couch, he lays me so I keep my head right next to his neck. He soothes me by rubbing my back. Every once and a while he would whip with his thumb, the tears away from my cheeks.

"Its all my fault," I whisper, clinging to his shirt.

"What is?" Shane whispers back, not pushing me to answer, yet he still needed to ask. I need to tell him before I lose control and lock myself in my washroom.

"She's dying Shane, and I can't do anything. I can't change what I did to her," I manage to get out. From what I can see through my tear filled eyes, confusion is written all over his face.

"What happened Alex?" He asks the same question he asked when he found me.

"She has cancer and it's all my fault," I begin to cry harder. Shane pulling me in tighter. My heart hurts. It hurts so much. I don't think Shane knows what to say, by the way, he's just holding me so tight, kissing the top of my head every once and a while.

"Alex it's not your fault," he finally says something.

"It is! My own father told me that it was my fault! She has liver cancer all because of me!"

Tears falling down constantly. Please don't come in my room, please. Daddy is scaring me again. I can hear his yelling from downstairs.

His loud footsteps are coming up the stairs. My heart is beating faster.

"Come here, come look!" He swings my bedroom door open with so much force I'm surprised the door handle didn't break a hole in the wall. He quickly walks up to me and grabs my arm. The grip that he has on my small wrist makes my eyes sting with more tears.

He drags me downstairs. My short legs not able to keep up with his long strides. "Daddy that hurts," I cry as he pulls me down the stairs.

"Get over it," he snarls at me. Once we reach the living room. The tv is on playing Mommy's favorite tv show. My eyes fall on the couch, my mom's eyes closed, mouth slightly apart. A large clear glass bottle is laying sideways on the floor along with a bunch of other cans. "Look! Look! Alexandra! Look what you push her to do!" He screams in my face. My heart is beating out of control.

I did this to Mommy?

"Ever since you were born she's been so stressed out about you. If you weren't here she wouldn't be like this!" With those words that come from his lips, he brings his hand back and slaps me across my face.