The Boy in the Back of the Library (Lirry Stayne)

*Liam's POV*
     "Zayn I can't hang out today after school. I told you my mum made me volunteer at the library for the next month or so." He gives me a funny look, "What did you do for her to make you do that?" I shrug, "Nothing actually,  she said it would look good on applications for university and I kind of wanted to." He shoots me an annoyed look and I roll my eyes.
     "I'll see you this weekend Zayn," I say waving as he gets into his car. He waves before shutting the door and pulling out of the parking lot. I turn and begin walking toward the library.
     "Good afternoon Gladys. How are you today," I ask the older librarian. She smiles and stands, "Ahh Liam I haven't seen you since you were just a little lad. I was so ecstatic when your mum informed me that you'd be helping me around here, not many people do." I smile, "Glad to be of assistance. Now, what's the first thing you want me to do?" "Well the books on that cart need put back." I walk over to the cart and say, "Consider it done." I feel her gaze on me as I begin walking away.
     I quietly hum to myself as I place the books back on their appropriate shelves. Normally I wouldn't hum in public but the library isn't busy so its not a big deal. As the pile of books on the cart lessen and I near the back of the library I spot a figure curled up in a back corner reading a book.
     I leave the cart and walk slowly towards them. "Excuse me," I whisper. The figure turns his head and his eyes go wide in shock or fear, I can't tell which. "We have some chairs right over there," I say pointing to a placement of chairs. He shakes his head and some of his curls fall into face covering his green eyes. "You sure?" He nods. I stand up and walk back to the cart.
     I finish putting the books on their shelves and  make my back to the front. "Gladys, did you know there's a boy in the back just sitting in a corner on the floor. I told him we had chairs but he shook his head no." She sighs, "He's here everyday, in that exact spot from the time I open up to the time I close," she lowers her voice to a whisper, "if you ask me the poor kid has a poor home life. At closing time he always seems like he's scared and very reluctant to go home. I don't even know the poor kid's name but I wish I could help him with whatever he's going through." I nod in understanding and wait for my next task.
     "Liam, I've got some letters to mail, would you mind closing up for me." "Sure thing Gladys." She tosses me the keys to lock up. "Thanks doll," she says as she walks out. I smile and look at the clock, thirty more minutes until closing time. I'll go ahead and make sure all the computers are shut down.
     As I walk towards the computers in the back, I notice the boy's figure, its no longer holding a book but is instead shaking with sobs. I hurry over to him and kneel beside him.
     "Are you okay," I ask placing my hand lightly on his shoulder. He flinches and I pull it away. He looks up at me and wipes his eyes with heel of his hand. "I'm Liam, if something is bothering you I want to know so I can help." He stares at me with his red, puffy eyes. We sit in silence for what seems like an eternity before either of us speak.
     "Harry," he shakily says. "Nice to meet you. Now if you don't mind me asking, why are you crying," I ask, concern filling my voice. "Because I...I don't want to leave. I don't want to go back to a place where nobody loves me. I hate it there. Nobody wants me there and this is the only sanctuary I have from all their terrible words.All their abuse." I'm confused now, "What do you mean where nobody loves you. I'm sure they do love you and you're just over exaggerating things." Fresh tears begin to fall down his cheeks, "Nobody understands."
     "Does this look like over exaggeration to you," he lifts his sweater some revealing a bruised torso. I shudder, maybe he isn't over exaggerating. "Or what about this?" He hands me his phone which is already open to a message from his mum. It reads 'All you ever want to do is spend time at that stupid library, why. Is it to get away from this place. If it is then good, if you don't want to be here then don't come back. None of us want you here anyway.' I hand him his phone back and say, "I'm sorry." That's all I really can say at this moment. I watch as his eyes scan over the message and more tears fall from his eyes. I sit down beside him and wrap my arm around him pulling him closer.
     We sit like that for some time, his sobs never coming to an end. "Hey um I'm sorry to say this but I've got to close up so we've got to get up." He wipes his eyes and sadly says okay before getting up and walking toward the front. I get up and follow quickly behind him. I geab my stuff and walk out the door right behind him.
     "Wait," I call as I lock the doors. I turn and he is already facing me, he looks physically drained and exhausted. "Did you need a place to stay, I mean so you can get out of that place. It's not healthy for you to be there." He manages a watery smile as he says, "Thanks but I'll be fine." He turns to walk away. Come on Liam think fast, you can't let him go back to that hell he calls home. "Harry I insist you come home with me and stay there. I may not know you well but I don't want you in a place where you're treated like you're nothing and where your being abused." My words cause him to stop and turn towards me, "Really?" I nod.
     I walk towards him and stop in front of him. "Liam this is the nicest thing anybody has ever done for me, thank you." I smile happily, "You're welcome." "But just so you know I will still be spending my days in that back corner of the library reading," he says. I chuckle and say, "Whatever you say mate. Now let's get home."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The first one shot in a while. Niall's Lucky Charm and I are really sorry we haven't updated in months but we've just been busy with life and school and everything has been crazy. I hope this makes up for it though :) Anywho I love you guys :) :) READ/COMMENT/VOTE/FAN/FANGIRL
~Harry's Kitty Kat