Hide Away

Christina

I woke up, feeling pure content.

A smile had etched its way on my face, making me look like a smiling lunatic. I just couldn't seem to stop smiling lately. My thoughts went back to last night, and my smile widened.

Blake had told me he loved me. I mean, it wasn't the first time he said it to me, since he reminds me everyday. But every time he says it, I fall in love with him all over again. I stayed there, just staring up at the ceiling, thinking about nothing in particular, and looking like a grinning fool.

Reluctantly getting up, I walked over to the bathroom and got ready for a day of homework, since I didn't exactly get the chance last night. I walk

I walked over to my closet and pulled out a pair of sweatpants and a PINK hoodie, and walked downstairs to the kitchen. The smell of blueberries and muffins filled the air from the kitchen and my mouth watered at the smell.

Geez Chris, keep the drool inside your mouth, you idiot.

I pushed open the door to the kitchen and found mum hovering over the counter and pulling a tray of muffins out of the oven.

"Morning, mum," I greeted, walking over to her, "you made muffins?"

"Morning dear," she blew out a piece of stray her that fell on her face, "and yes, yes I did."

I raised my eyebrow and looked at her suspiciously. She never made any kind of dessert so early in the morning.

What was up with her?

I decided to play it cool and bring up the question casually.

"So, mum, what made you bake muffins at 8 in the morning?" I asked.

"Oh, nothing. You know, just in the mood for muffins!" she replied, enthusiastically.

A little too enthusiastically.

"Mum, what's going on? You know you can tell me anything."

She looked a little hesitant at first, and shifted her attention to the window that gave a view of the backyard.

"Mum?" I asked.

"Well...this guy that I've known in the firm for a while, asked me out on date and...I wanted to get your approval before I said anything." she looked a little nervous, searching my face for any clues.

"Mum, of course you should go! You really need this and if he makes you happy, then that's all that matters." I told her.

She looked a little teary eyed and walked over to me, engulfing me in a hug. I returned it but inside, a feeling was nagging at my gut, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it was the uneasiness of what my father did, or maybe I was just scared of change.

Whatever it was, I wouldn't tell mum. She was the happiest I've seen her in a while and this was good for her. If he made her happy, then I was happy.

"Honey?" mum waved her hand in front of my face and I hadn't noticed that I zoned out.

"Yes, mum?" I asked.

"Are you okay?"

"Oh, yes! I'm perfect." I lied, putting a smile on my face, although it didn't reach my eyes.

"Okay, well go ahead and grab a muffin." she smiled.

I smiled back and went to go get a muffin. As I took my first bite, I choked.