Graduation Day

Christina

 My bed had become my best friend.

It had been through the crying and the moping that I couldn't control for the past week. My mother was concerned about me, continually checking up on me, bribing me with all my favorite things in attempt to try and get me out of my room. Jasmine wouldn't stop coming over- of course I didn't mind her coming over- and doing everything she could think of to try and get me to leave my bed.

And every time, my answer remained the same.

No.

I refused to leave the 4 walls that had become painfully familiar. I refused to go outside, only to see the house that I used to skip through the door in, little pigtails flying as my legs skipped through the halls, not caring if I tripped on the rug. I refused to go out into the sun, preferring to stay in the dim depths of my bed sheets.

I couldn't bear the thought of looking out the window, knowing what was on the other side, staring back at me as if it were mocking me. I shut all my curtains, making sure to leave no gap in between them. It had taken me a while to get used to the constant lack of light, since I always kept my curtains open, allowing the sun to stream through.

I had spent countless nights, restless, awake, staring at the ceiling fan spinning above me.

Why did he kiss her? Was I not good enough? Did he kiss her before?

No. He wouldn't do that to me.

He cheated on you, you idiot, a little voice in my head shouted.

But maybe it was just an accident?

Get over him, you deserve better, the voice was telling me.

I slammed my pillow over my head to try and get all the thoughts out of my head.

Not a moment later, the door opened and I felt someone's weight dip into the mattress.

"Get up, get up, get up!" Jasmine shouted at the top of her lungs, "Chris! Wake up!" she yelled at what I suspected was my face.

"Well someone better be dying," I muttered under my breath, groaning when my eyes came into contact with the sun. "Close the curtains, please," I muttered before I dove back under the pillow.

"Chris! C'mon wake up!" she urged, impatiently tapping her foot; something she does when she's about to erupt. I continue to keep my head under the pillow, and suddenly, I feel myself hitting the cold wooden panels beneath me with a thud. 

"What the heck was that?" I asked, casting her a glare, and making my way back to my bed.

She ignored my question and went to go pull me off again. I grabbed onto the headset of my bed, holding on for dear life, while Jasmine let out a frustrated groan and continued pulling me.

"Did you forget today's graduation? We have to be there in an hour!" she yelled.

When I realized what she said, my hands let go of the headset instantly, and I landed on the floor once again.

I scrambled for my calendar and sure enough, today was graduation. I stood up and walked back to my bed, sitting on the edge, putting my head into my hands.

"Jas," I began, "you know I can't go," I paused, "he's going to be there."

She shook her head at me and walked over beside me and sat down, taking my hand into hers. "Chris, as your best friend, I'm going to tell you to get a grip," she began, and I cut her off.