Prom Detective

Christina

As Jasmine and I walked into yet another store, hopes high, we were met with a manager with the same face that all 5 previous managers had looked at us with. Prepared for the same line that we had already memorized, we smiled at her and walked out.

"Seriously, what's the deal," Jaz said, "prom is 2 weeks away, 2 weeks! How is everything already 'sold out'?" she cried in despair, a few people turning to look at her.

Shaking my head, I sighed and looked at the busy mall, people swarming the halls and filling up the stores that seem to pass by as we continue walking. "I don't know Jaz, but maybe we'll have some luck at another store?"

"I hope you're right Chris," she said with a sigh, "I don't even care about my dress, I care about your dress."

Giving her an incredelous look, I shook my head and placed a hand on her shoulder, "Why on earth are you worried about me? I should be the one worrying about you," I said with a comncerning look.

"Why would you be worried about me?" she asked, "I'm perfectly fine!" But something sounded a little off, seeing as that statement came out more forced than natural.

"Mhm, sure you are," I retaliated, "what do you say we forget about this for now, and get some food?"

A lazy grin spread across her face and she hooked her arm into mine, dragging me toward the food court, "Now you're speaking my language."

I couldn't help but laugh at how happy she got over food, but if it was enough to make her forget about whatever was troubling her, then I was happy too.

Everything was going smooth until my clumsy self decided that it was time to make a fool out of myself.

It all started when we stepped on the escalator, and then, things escalated. See what I did there?

Oh dear god, I'm lame.

Anyways, as we started to go up, I reached for the bag that had my wallet, which was planted 2 steps below me. Extending my arm, I leaned back a bit too much, and went tumbling backwards, knocking over 1 lady in the process, and ending up smack-dab on my butt, at the entrance of the escalator.

After running and helping the poor lady off the floor, I apologized greatly, and I let out a breath of relief when she decided not to press charges for "inhumanly interactions".

Whatever that was supposed to mean.

So walking fast, aware that multiple eyes were on me, I ran up the stairs and met Jasmine at the top, who was clutching her stomach in laughter. Playfully shoving her, she sobered up but reduced her laughter to short spurts of giggles, all the way to the food court.

"I'm sorry Chris," she breathed out, "but you should've seen yourself."

"Ha-ha," I replied sarcastically, "I felt it."

"Hey if it makes you feel better," she began, "food's on me this time." she taunted.

I threw my arm around her as we began walking to our favorite spot, and she tried to throw it off. "Where would I be without you Jaz?"

She mulled it over before replying with. "Anywhere other than a food coma." And we both started laughing, because the accuracy of those words were very close to the truth.

Sadly.

So getting into line at Chips and Dips, we waited until it was our turn, then moved to our usual table in the far left, where we got a view of everyone and everything. Soon after the food arrived, we dug in, and let the savory taste of food linger on our taste buds.