Mind Over Matter

Blake

I'm a wreck.

I haven't slept in weeks, I can't seem to eat anything, and I'm starting to think I'm never going to leave my bed.

It kills me to see her so happy, like she's moved on. I know its selfish of me to want her to miss me like I miss her, but its time I accept things for what they are.

She doesn't love me anymore.

Just that thought alone made me want to vomit right then and there. I pulled violently at the ends of my hair, putting my hands over my face and laying down on the dock, trying my hardest to keep myself composed.

I need to get a fricking grip.

"Are you okay?" a small voice asked, the sound of feet shuffling.

I looked over and saw a little boy, holding a teddy bear, an adorable look on his face. "Hey buddy," I said, taking a deep breath and wiping at my eyes, "where's your parents, little man?" I asked, standing up and crouching in front of him.

He was quiet for a second, and then he pointed at the sky. "Mommy and Daddy went bye-bye," he whispered, hugging his teddy bear closer to his chest.

I felt my heart clench at the sight, and I took his hand, placing it over his heart. "Your mommy and daddy will always be in here," I whispered, tapping his chest lightly, my own eyes tearing up slightly.

"Aidan? Oh, Aidan!" a woman yelled, running towards us with tears streaming down her cheeks, "Aidan you can't run away like that!" she scolded softly, patting him all over to make sure he wasn't hurt.

"Thank you so much for finding Aidan," she said, turning to me, sincerity written all over her face, "he's all I have left after my daughter and her husband died 2 years ago." she said, her gaze falling onto the sky above, as the sun began to set.

"It was my pleasure ma'am," I reassured her, "he actually found me," I said, chuckling slightly.

She gave me a small smile in return and nudged Aidan in front of her, setting him on her shoulders as they walked off the dock and into the park. I turned my attention back onto the horizon, my hands resting on the dock bars, leaning my body weight against them.

Kids.

Chris and I had spent one summer afternoon cuddling all day, talking about the future and what we imagined it'd look like. We both agreed we wanted a big family, since we were both the only children in our families. We had settled on 3-4 kids, in a big house that we would design ourselves, and have it built.

We wanted our kids to be raised in a place where troubles never existed.

Chris.

I sighed loudly, cursing myself silently while pushing myself off of the dock, walking to my car and shutting the door.

I knew where I had to go.

*   *   *   *   *

3 hours later, I found myself pulling up into a house that became like a second home over the years. I jumped out, closed the door behind me and locked the car, sighing deeply.

I walked up to the door, and knocked, being polite is the way I was raised; you respected people by being polite. Not a second later, the door flew open, and John rushed me inside, bribing me with all sorts of snacks.