Chapter 7

Chapter Seven

Never Battle With a Newbie

Ismail Ambani’s favorite thing to do was to dance. Along with Steve McLaggen and Alejandro Musso, they lead the cheering squad in their school. It was kind of new because girls usually leads a cheering squad but not in Mapleton High.    

Ismail Ambani along with his colleagues – Steve and Alejandro – held an audition that afternoon for deserving fresh new cheerleaders. Many students auditioned from different grades especially the freshmen and a junior named Furon Sylvester: he was a friend of Jude O’Brien who held the party last summer which was the day of Edward Lawson’s disappearance. Furon is an African-American who dressed as hip as possible and wore lots of blings. His aura seemed to have plenty of attitude.

“Where’re the hot chicks, playas’?” Furon used his ghetto tone.

Ismail ignored Furon’s question and started introducing himself. “I’m Ismail Ambani, the captain and welcome...”

“Wo,” Furon interrupted. “You’re the captain?”

 Ismail thought that was a rhetorical question but he still wanted to respond. “Yes, I’m the captain. Got a problem with that?”

 “Okay,” Steve stood up to ease the heat. “Let’s start. What’s your name, playa?”

 Furon introduced himself with a rap, “Your man, Furon, is in the house! Furon Sylvester I’m sayin’. ”

 “Okay, Furon,” Steve lifted his head up as he was writing on the critic paper, “do your thing.”

 Furon started to dance with a Ne-Yo song. He was so arrogant and cocky as he was showing his dance moves. However, the three judges were blown away; Ismail thought that Furon did an incredible job even though he had a rude attitude. Steve and Alejandro were as impressed as Ismail with Furon’s dance moves. The gymnasium floor shook as the auditionees gave him a standing ovation.

 “Good job, Furon. That’s what we need.” Alejandro applauded as he looked at his co-judges. “What do you think, guys?”

 Ismail nodded, “I think...”

 “Woh, woh, woh, Cap---tain...,” Furon interfered boastfully, “I think I’m gonna challenge you, Is-ma-il with a dance-off. Since you’re the captain, I wanna see you dance?” Then, he faced his co-auditionees. “What do y’all say, pips?”

 Everyone in the gym agreed and yelled: “Showdown! Showdown! Showdown!”

Ismail looked at everyone. He even looked at Alejandro and Steven. Alejandro nodded implying that he should do it for entertainment.

Without further ado, Ismail stood up and went to the center with Furon. Steve started to play the Ne-Yo song again. They started dancing. Furon showed off his first move and he made a transitional move to give the turn to Ismail; Ismail started to show what he got as well. Both of them were bragging with their choreographies. They looked so perky which made everyone howl. Suddenly, Furon started pushing Ismail. Ismail thought that it was part of the routine but Furon pushed him back again.

Everything was starting to heat up. Ismail wouldn’t want to be stepped, so he pushed Furon in return. His eyes were glaring at Furon like ‘what the hell?’ Then, Furon purposely stomped on Ismail’s left foot which caused Ismail in tackling him.

Furon retaliates and they started hitting heads. Gasps suddenly emerged from the audience. Then, they started yelling “Fight!”

Alejandro and Steve were stunned and does not know what to do.

“Call Mr. Mercandy!” Steve cried at Alejandro. Alejandro immediately ran out to call the authorities. Luckily, he saw the guidance counsellor. They hastened inside the gym.

Once Alejandro and the guidance counsellor were inside the gym, the fight was still on.

“What is going on here?” Mr. Mercandy yelled. Everyone froze like Mr. Mercandy casted a spell. The voice was big and very authoritative, “You!” pointing at Ismail. “And you!” pointing at Furon. “Come with me!”

All students in the gym remained stunned.

Both Ismail and Furon ended up in detention. They follow Mr. Mercandy out the gymnasium.

Steve cancelled the audition and told the auditonees that they will announce when the next audition will be held.

Meanwhile, as Ismail and Furon were heading to the detention room with Mr. Mercandy, Ismail’s phone suddenly buzzed. He was still glaring at Furon, though. He shoved his hand on his pocket and his phone read One New Message. He opened the message and read it:

I’ll be willing to cut your feet off rather than seeing them being stomped. –E

Ismail cringed. He remembered the message last night: same blocked number and label, “E”. However, instead of being scared, he got pissed and fed up with someone stalking him, so he tossed his anger to Furon.

“Did you send this?” Ismail asked giving Furon an angry glare.

Furon did not manage to study the message because Mr. Mercandy yelled at them to stop and warned them that there would be serious consequences if they fought again.

“I did not send that,” Furon replied innocently.

“Enough!” Mr. Mercandy cried.

Then, they reached the Detention room.

“Get inside,” Mr. Mercandy ordered.

Ismail was left dumbfounded. Before entering, he saw Willie Hample walking behind them. Both his hands were shoved in his pocket and he was staring at Ismail. Suddenly, Willie removed his stare.

At that time, Ismail started concluding that Willie was the one to send that message. To Ismail’s eyes, Willie looked guilty for a reason, so he glared at him. As Willie was almost near to him, Mr. Mercandy quickly called Ismail to get inside. Willie continued walking and headed to the library. Both Ismail and Willie’s sights were glued at each other and that second seemed to be minutes.