Chapter 13

Chapter Thirteen

Goodbye Filthy Janitor

The rain started to fall. The night was so dark and windy, lightning were flashing as thunder were clashing.

Ismail Ambani was alone in his house. He was in his bedroom watching Law and Order. He was in his white T-shirt and blue Calvin Klein boxers. Ismail was seriously watching the episode when he suddenly heard a snap outside his window.

He took a quick peek on it. He thought that it was just debris that hit his window. When he saw nothing, he ignored it and jumped back to bed.  

The corner of his eye saw his phone lying on the table. Ismail was so paranoid about the text messages, so he blocked all the text from E. After doing that, he went down to the kitchen to grab Pringles and Coke.

He did not bother to open the kitchen lights. The light of the refrigerator was bright enough to illuminate the room. Suddenly, the kitchen door was forcedly opened by the wind.

“Fuck!” he shouted. He was not that jumpy or get freaked out at all with something, but after knowing that there was a creepy stalker, his bravery sure faded.

Ismail quickly closed the door but he couldn’t lock it because the latch was broken, so he just used the door knob lock to lock it instead.

At the outside porch, there was a shadow that seemed to be watching him. Ismail unlocked the door to see who it was then the lightning flashed again. When the one-second-lightning ended, the shadow disappeared with it.

He thought that his eyes were playing him. But he got a feeling that it was real.

The rain was so hard, it kept on pouring and pouring. The raindrops were so massive in the state. Mapleton High was already closed. School staffs had already gone home except for the janitor who was having his overtime. Usually, some staffs especially the principal stays long in the school but tonight’s weather was something that could get them killed.

The janitor went down to the janitor’s closet to bring back all his cleaning materials. He decided to go home because he thought that he was risking his life.

While downstairs, he whistled to let his boredom fade. Little he did know, a man in black overalls with a hoodie appeared behind him. The man was holding a knife behind his back.

Lightning continued flashing. The sound of the raindrop hitting the roof was loud enough to obscure the footsteps of the hooded man. It walked towards the janitor who was unaware and busy tidying up.  

The hooded man stopped two-steps away from the janitor. Suddenly, the lightning flashed again. The shadow of the man appeared on the wall before the janitor.

“What the…?” the confused expression of the janitor. How could he have two different shadows? Suddenly, he sensed something. He turned around which made him a bit startled. The janitor touched his heart but ignored the man.

“Oh, kids, they’re so silly,” he talked to himself and continued in putting his things up.

The black hooded man inched closer.

The janitor flinched. “You shouldn’t be in this late-hour. Better go home now, big fella!” He squinted to see who was wearing the hoodie but the face was covered with shadows.

The black hooded man slowly showed its knife. It walked slowly again towards the janitor.

His eyes widened. He stepped back but he struggled when he stepped on something hard.  “this isn’t funny, kiddo.”