Chapter 28

Chapter Twenty-eight

Give Me What I Want

"Here," Louis shined his flashlight and handed it to Ismail.

The house was all dark. Louis' room was illuminated by moonlight and a nearby light post which cast long shadows across. They did not notice that Louis's house was the only one who has no power. They could hear crickets chirping from outside.

"What if we tell our parents about E. Even the cops? I think we should've done that earlier." Travis started.  

            "I don't think so?" Ismail disagreed.

            "You know what E's capable of," Louis added.

            "We can't just let E ruin our life," Travis said. Suddenly, a glass shattered from downstairs. It was so loud, it made the four jumped. "What was that?"

They quickly emerged downstairs to check what happened leaving the diary on the bed. They thought the sound came from the kitchen

"No one's here," Richard yelled from the kitchen.

"No one's here either," Ismail yelled from outside the front door.

Louis and Travis checked the basement. Before they could open the basement doors, Louis's iPad tinkled. The backlight of the iPad illuminated their pale face.  

The title of the new message was BAD_JERKS. And it came from an unknown sender. He tapped Open and there was a message and a video attachment.

Don't you dare, or I'll send this to everyone. –E

Louis swallowed. "Shit!" He downloaded the attachment and called the guys to watch it.

They gathered around the kitchen table looking feverishly on Louis's iPad.

"What footage is that?" Travis asked.

"I'm still downloading it," Louis replied. After the download was finished, he quickly tapped the play button. The starting point of the video was black. Then, five boys appeared to be hiding on the bushes. They knew who the five boys were. It was them in the video with Edward, when he was alive.

"Was this the time we pranked Clint?" Ismail recognized the event.

On the video, someone caught them on tape. They started tiptoeing towards Clint Whitman's garage and started to disarrange the platforms. The cameraman was seemed to be hiding behind the leaves as some leaves were covering the lens. The cameraman zoomed and focused to Edward.

"Shit!" Ismail snapped. "We're caught on tape!"

Then, on the video, they all started to lurk back at the bushes and Clint's accident occurred. All of their reactions were caught on tape and how they've escaped from the crime. Then, the video ended.

"Who do you think took this?" Travis nervously asked.

"No clue," Richard said, "Edward told us that he hasn't seen anyone that night."

 "Yeah," Ismail butted-in, "but we've seen by someone that night. E saw us! Sooner or later, it will be uploaded on TMZ or Ridiculousness!"

"This can't be happening!" Louis panicked. "I knew it!"

"Relax, Lou." Travis said.

"I think we should just listen to what he said," Richard proposed. "Don't spill him out to everyone."

Louis started pacing acting really paranoid. The corner of his eyes saw the power box to be opened. He walked towards it and saw the power to be turned off.

"Guys," he called their attention. "There was no power out. Someone turned the switch off." He switched it again and the light went on. "Someone had been here." Louis turned as his tone trembled. 

Ismail saw that the patio door was quite opened.

Louis quickly ran to the door. His friends followed him. As Louis stepped outside, he immediately saw pieces of broken ceramics on the floor. "My grandma's vase!"

Louis started picking it up and Travis helped him.

"Guys, check if someone got in." Louis ordered.

Richard and Ismail round another search. Suddenly, a door was slammed from upstairs. Ismail heard it. "Guys, someone's upstairs!" He thought that someone might be on Louis's room.

Louis and Travis shockingly looked at each other and both screamed "THE DIARY".

Then, Louis, Travis and Richard raced to his room and Ismail followed as well. As they opened the door, they saw Louis's window wide opened and the diary was stolen from the bed. Pure disappointment registered on their faces.

Richard put both his hands on his head. "Damn it!"

Louis and Travis exchanged fretting expression.

Ismail paced around Louis's room. He suddenly, talked to Richard. "I chased E in the bleachers during your football practice that's why we went AWOL."

"Darn it!" Richard cried as he looked at the window where E had escaped. "How can he be so quick?"

"I don't know, man," Ismail replied.

"It's gone," Richard yelled, "we have nothing!" Richard sat on the bed and brushed his hands on his face. Travis sat beside him and tapped him.

"I don't know how the hell he entered," Louis said, "maybe he had heard us." Something snapped on his mind from what he just said. "Didn't you notice how coincidently he sent that message to us when we were just talking about telling these to our parents as well as the opportunity to know his identity?"

His friends exchanged looks realizing Louis's statement.

"You're right," Ismail agreed.

Crickets stopped chirping. A dog from the neighbourhood barked continuously as if there was a burglar. They were all disappointed because the diary was the only chance to find out E's identity and now, it had been stolen.