Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen

Shut Up, Detective

It was 9 in the evening when the four lads were brought to the police station to be asked by Detective Robert Weismann. He requested to talk to each of them separately: first was Ismail, then Travis, then Louis, and now, Richard. He began by asking them about what happened before, during, and after the night Edward disappeared. He also asked them if they were responsible for Alejandro’s death. Every conversation got creepier due to the hanging bulb swaying from the ceiling.

 “...that Friday, we went home earlier because the party was sort of... boring,” Richard recalled the moment from the time Edward disappeared.

 “Did you drink at the party, Mr. Grayson?” Weismann interrogated.

 “Yes,” Richard grinned, “Coke, Lemonade, Soda...”

 “Hmmm,” Weismann narrowed his eyes, “Alcoholic drinks? Did you and the others drink?”

 “Nope,” Richard answered, “Louis and I didn’t.”

Weismann slowly nods his head, “We found out that Edward was intoxicated in his autopsy report. He drank in that party, right?”

Richard swallowed, “He’s a partygoer! He drinks a lot.”

“Has Edward fought with someone, before?” Weismann threw another question.

Richard pressed his palms, look at the two-way glass seeing if there was someone watching them. “None.”

“During?”

“I don’t know,” Richard’s tone suddenly raised, “he’s went somewhere, maybe, making out with a cheerleader.” Then, Richard’s eyes widened as if he remembered something, “Oh yeah!” But he did not continue to talk because he remembered that Edward told them his story about having sex with someone when they were going home that night and if he will speak about this to Weismann, he will be caught that he was lying about Edward going home early.

“What?” Weismann asked, “What is it?”

“Uhh,” Richard sputtered and he switched his mind in creating a lie, “um... I remember seeing Edward making out. But arguing with someone? Um... no...”

Weismann eyes were even narrower than before, “what about after?”

“No clue,” Richard answered, “I told you, he already went home.”

“When his body was found,” Weismann switched to another related topic, “the autopsy report stated that he was killed when the body was found because the wounds and cuts were still fresh.”

“Really?” Richard said. “You mean? He was alive for months?”

Weismann nodded. “He might have been kidnapped.”

“What do you think happened to him during those days?” Richard asked.

“I’m the one who should be asking you that. I’m the detective here. I ask questions.” Weismann crossed his arms as he smirked. “Okay, I think we’re done here – we’re not really totally done. Once a new info has arrived, we will be calling you again.”

Richard nodded.

“By the way, since you’re the last, I’ll be asking people from that party. Whose party was that anyway?”

Richard got goose bumps thinking that they might get caught if Weismann will question another person from the party. But he had no choice but to answer. “Jude O’Brien, sir. He threw that party.”