Chapter 9

Chapter Nine

News That Made Things Worst

That evening, Ismail Ambani was in his room holding his iPad checking his Twitter account. Rushka Ambani, Ismail’s mom, prepared a very nice dinner. She told her husband, Rajih Ambani, that she was energized and inspired in cooking that night after watching a cooking show. Rushka called Ismail from his room. She only called her once when their phone rang from the living room.

“Ambani’s residence?” Rushka answered.

“Hello,” a voice said from the other end, “this is Ronald Mercandy, the guidance counsellor.”

 “Oh, Mr. Counsellor,” Rushka was kind of delighted and confused, “how may I help you, sir?” She glanced at Rajih and he was looking at her too. Rushka covered the mouth-piece and told Rajih that it was the counsellor and then, she went back to talk with the counsellor.

“Your son has been sent to detention due to fighting with another student,” said Mr. Mercandy on the other end.

“Oh my... Really?” Rushka swallowed a nerve and she suddenly saw Ismail walking from downstairs.

Mr. Mercandy explained the scene on the other end as Rushka gave her son a parental look. After that, Mr. Mercandy ended the conversation. “Okay, thank you sir. Good night.” Rushka hung up.

“Who was that mom?” Ismail innocently asked but he could sense that it was Counsellor Mercandy.

Rushka crossed her arms, “it’s the guidance counsellor telling me that you had a fight with a student!"

Then, Rajih came. “What’s going on?”

“Asked your son,” she replied and headed to the dinner table.

Rajih looked confused. “Let’s discuss that here.”

Ismail followed. He thought that his parents do not care for him but now, they seemed to be. They all sat down. Rajih lead the prayer. Then, they started eating. Rajih asked Ismail what happened. Ismail told the story which made his dad react frantically but Rushka calmed him down.

“At least, you only had a detention,” Rajih said calmly, “I don’t want this to happen again. Is it understood?”

“Yes, dad,” Ismail replied as he was looking at his meal. He looked like a thirteen year-old wearing this plain gray t-shirt 

“Are you considering this?” Rushka asked her husband. “I mean, it will appear on his permanent records.”

“At least his not suspended,” Rajih explained. “It’s way better to be sent to detention rather than be suspended.”

Then, Rajih switched the conversation and asked Ismail’s plans for college.

Ismail faced lightened. “I wanted to take Fine Arts, dad.”

“No!” Rajih frowned, “take Engineering. I thought your dream is to be an Engineer?”

“I don’t wanna be an Engineer, dad. And it’s your dream, not mine.” Ismail cried sarcastically. “I mean, why would you ask for my plans if you wanted me to take something else?”

That was the time when the argument ensued. Rushka stopped and told them that they should respect their dinner and told Rajih that they should support whatever their son wanted for his future.

Ismail rolled his eyes and just resumed eating. Unlike other kids, they would walked out in a situation like this. But for Ismail, he has a snake in his stomach which made him famished all the time.