Chapter 32

Chapter Thirty-two

Someone That We Used To Know

Right after school, Travis Becker quickly head to his house and was getting ready to go with Louis Lockwood in meeting with this ‘Wad Rosenwald’ dude. They will be meeting at Toby’s Coffee Shop.

His mom was not in the house; his brother was in the football practice; and Officer Shay was on duty. He was all alone in the house.

While he was styling his hair with hair wax, the portable phone that was lying on his bed rang. Travis quickly grabbed the phone and pressed Answer. “Hello?”

“Hello?” the caller asked. The voice was quite low and soothing but a bit creepy. It was a man.

“Uh,” Travis moved to the mirror while holding the phone, “yes?”

“Who is this?” the caller quickly asked.

“Who are you calling?” Travis squinted and threw a different question. He was looking at his reflection and was thinking if his hairstyle was suited for his look: a cream-coloured Lacoste jacket with green shirt underneath and grey tight pants.

 “I said, who is this?” the caller repeated.

“Wrong number,” Travis quickly jumped and hung up. He doesn’t want to be bothered by some insolence calls. He tossed the phone back to his bed as it bounced its way down to the floor. Travis quickly grabbed the phone and thought that it was broken for he heard it thud. As he picked it up, it loudly ran.

It startled the hell out of Travis. “Hello?”

“You do that on me again and I gut you like a fish,” the voice was dead mad serious, “you understand?”

Travis was not sure what to think. Was this a prank? He tried to open up his mouth but no sound was produced. His lips started to quiver.

“Yes...” the voice sounded grim, “you like that?”

“Fuck up!” Travis stood up and clicked the phone and hangs up the phone again.

Suddenly, the doorbell from downstairs chimed. He leaped and screamed. Then, Travis walked slowly downstairs and headed down the foyer.

The doorbell rang again.

Then, someone spoke behind the door. “Travis?”

The voice was familiar. It was Louis. Travis was relieved and he opened the door.

“Hey?” Louis greeted. “I thought of just meeting you here, though.” He saw Travis’ uneasy and terrified. “You okay?”

“Let’s go,” Travis stepped outside on the porch and locked the door. He pulled Louis down their front porch steps.

“What’s up, bro?” Louis got confused as he was being pulled.

Travis slid into his Chevy and started the engine as Louis followed in.

“You sure you’re okay?” Louis scrutinized.

Travis nodded and drove their way to their destination.

Travis tapped on his built-in GPS in his car:

24 Avenue West Oakfield Street, Mapleton, South Carolina.

The screen started navigating. Then the results popped out. The place was seven blocks around. They pulled over beside a jewellery shop.

Travis and Louis stepped out the car. “I think we’re here.”