Chapter 23

Chapter Twenty-three

Hypothetically True

“It was found out by the forensic experts that the seventeen year old, Quentin Hamilton, was not involved in the previous murders except for his girlfriend,” A male reporter from a local news show reported with its headline strip: Quentin Hamilton, Might be Innocent.

That morning, Richard’s mom, Shanna Grayson, was watching the news on their flat screen TV that was attached on the wall beside the refrigerator in the kitchen. While watching, she was preparing for their breakfast: pancakes with honey on top and Richard’s favorite, bacon.

Albert Grayson, Rich’s dad, entered the kitchen looking ready to go to work wearing his green flannel jacket and tie. He sat on the bar waiting for his wife to serve his favorite: honey pancake.

Then, Richard went down from his bedroom, ready to go to school. While he was walking down the staircase, he could hear the voice of a male reporter, so he ran to his kitchen to see the news.

Photos of Edward Lawson, Finn Spender, Alejandro Musso, Jenna Lucas, Malcolm Schmidt, and Detective Robert Weismann were flashed on the screen, “...who could have killed these people especially Detective Robert Weismann who was working for this case. And why?”

“Louis was right,” Richard whispered.

Footage of Quentin’s lawyer appeared on the screen. The lawyer was being interviewed by the press, “my client has told me everything but it’s hard for him to remember things as of now. But we will still prove that he’s innocent,” Quentin’s lawyer explained

The male reporter started again, “Since yesterday, police department had summoned units around the streets of Mapleton. And regarding about Mr. Hamilton, was he really involved, or was he not? Was he framed or was he just guilty? All we need is to be careful and...” then, Richard clicked the off-button.

“Why did you turn it off?” his dad asked.

“They kept on repeating it,” Richard answered as he was slicing his pancake.

Albert studied Richard as he sip coffee from his mug. “What’s up, son?”

Richard inhaled and exhaled as he looked downcast. “I’ve been going through a lot right now. There are lots of hindrances maybe.”

 “Did it affect your studies,” Albert asked, “even football?”

 “Sort of,” Richard quietly answered. “I’m all time low, I guess.”

 “Is this still about… Edward?” Albert asked, “and the deaths in your school?”

 Richard pursed his lips and shrugged.

Shanna gave her son a worried look. She went to Albert and touched her husband’s shoulder. “I think you shouldn’t go to school today.”

“No,” Richard jumped. “I must. And I have to.”

 Albert glanced at Shanna. “Well, son, hindrance will not be a hindrance unless you make it possible.”

 Richard stared at his dad for a moment. He realized that what his dad had said was right.

Shanna went to her son and hugged him. “I know you’re going through a lot, but it will be okay. The real killer, whoever that is, will be caught. Right now, all we need is to be careful. And don’t get distracted.”

“I’m always careful, mom,” Richard smiled. “Thanks.”

 “Just don’t let it in to you,” Albert said.

“Sure,” Richard smiled, “I won’t!”

“Well, then,” Albert stood up, looked at his Seiko wristwatch. The light bounced to Richard face for a second which made him squint.

His father hurriedly grabbed his brief case and coffee tumbler. “I’ll be going now, honey.” He gave his wife a quick kiss. He patted Richard’s hair like a dog. “Take care, Rich."

“You too, dad,” Richard smiled. Then, he saw his dad’s car keys on the table. “Hey, dad!”

Albert turned around.

“Your keys,” he reached.

“Oh, thanks!”

Five seconds later, Ismail Ambani came knocking from the back door.

Albert opened the door. “Oh. Good morning, Ismail.”

“Hello, Mr. Grayson.”

Then, Albert went to his Honda Civic and started the engine.

Ismail walked in like it was his house. But he was used to that. In fact, Richard does the same. “Good morning, Mrs. Grayson.”

“Hello, Ismail. How are you?”

Ismail brushed his hair back with his hands. “You know? I’m… good. Thanks”

“Have you eaten breakfast?” Shanna asked as she dried her hands with a rag, “we have pancakes.”

“No thanks,” Ismail smiled as he approached Richard.

“What about something to drink?” Shanna hospitably asked. All of sudden, their phone started to ring. “I’ll get it.”

Richard waited for her mom to go to the living room. “What’s up, man?”

Ismail grab a pitcher of mango juice from the fridge and pour it on two glasses. He reached the other to Richard. “I’ve seen the news.”

“We just turned off the TV,” Richard said as he drank the juice. “I really think that he’s innocent. But he can’t defend himself because evidence doesn’t lie.”

“I just thought about something last night,” Ismail hypothesized.

“Let’s hear it.”

“I know it’s ironic because I was cranky when we visited him but what if he was used? I mean, his hands were used by the killer instead of using the killer’s own hands. That would make us believe that Quentin was the one who did it but actually he didn’t. But I don’t know how the killer pulled that. I’ve seen that in a movie. I just forgot what movie it was, though.” 

Then, a short paused entered. Richard analyzed and started thinking of something as well as Ismail. They both looked at each other. Then, light came to their face and they spoke in unison, “when he was asleep!”

“‘When he was asleep’?” Shanna emerged back.

Richard stood up. He doesn’t want his mom to hear about what they were talking. “Nothing mom, gotta go now.” Then, he kissed his mom on the cheeks. “Love you, mom! Bye.”

 “Okay?” Shanna said a bit confused, “love you too!”

 Richard grabbed his bag and rushed outside.

Ismail finished his drink, “gotta go, Mrs. Grayson. Thank you for the drink!”

Richard went to his SUV while Ismail rode on his Chevrolet. 

“Bye,” Shanna waved at the two. Then, she locked the doors.   

Richard and Ismail were so pumped telling Louis and Travis what they’ve analyzed. They both speeded up their car engine on the way to Mapleton High.