Chapter 39

Chapter Thirty-nine

This Can't Be Happening

Meanwhile, without knowing what was happening at the party, Travis and Willie reached the destination. They pulled over right around the curb twenty feet away the apartment.

"Why are we here?" Willie hysterically asked.

Travis didn't respond as he switched off the engine.

"What are we doing here?" Willie sure was eager for answers.

"You better cut me some slack, will you?" Travis hopped out the car and grabbed the backpack with the gun in it and the two cappuccinos.

"Hey, where are you going?" Willie threw another question.

"Don't move a muscle. I'll be back in a moment."

"Come back as soon as possible," Willie looked anxious. He was like a helpless kid.

Travis nodded and quickly burst his way to the entrance door of the apartment building. As he reached Brent's doors, he excitedly knocked.

No one opened the door.

"Brent?" He tried knocking again.

No one responded.

Curious, he tried the door knob. It was not locked. Goose bumps suddenly went to him. When he opened the door, he erected in disbelief. His eyes were on stalk when he saw red stain marks – which looked like blood – strayed on the floor. "Brent?"

Something was not right. The trail was leading to the kitchen. Worried, he emerged to the kitchen and the worst thing that he could have ever seen was right in front of his eyes. Chills crawled up to him. The coffees that he was holding purposely let go of his hands as it was pulled by the gravitational force. He almost got pulled by the force when he saw intestines dangling from an opened stomach touching the floor. The body was bounded on a dining chair gutted. The eyes were blankly staring at nothingness looking hopeless. And the mouth was drooling blood.

Travis screamed in terror and burst out into tears. "Holy shit! Brent!"

He covered his mouth as he almost threw up. When he turned around to get out, he nearly jumped out of his skin when he saw the kitchen wall with a written message using Brent's blood:

Whatta bad teacher! Shame on him! –E

His heart pounded in fear. E was so gruesome. He needed to do something. But what? Should he call the police? Maybe calling the cops would be a bad idea as it would raise questions: like his reason in visiting his English teacher in such a late hour.

As he fled, he stumbled his way out the apartment for he was so overwhelmed with fear. He was ready to scream for help. Apparently, not a single human being was around. The place looked deserted. Then, he saw the hood of his car lurking in the shadows

"Willie!" He hopped in the car with tears still cascading from his eyes. "We have to go! He's dead!"

But Willie did not respond. There wasn't even a Why? What happened? Are you okay? Willie was just facing the right window.

"Willie!" Travis hasn't started the engine yet. He sensed that something was not right again. "Will?" He inched his right hand to him. As his pointing finger poked Willie's back, he didn't flinch. Then, he touched him again, but he didn't respond. So, he shook him once last time. Fortunately, Willie's body responded. But to his surprise, Travis' jaw dropped once again as Willie fell lifelessly to the dashboard. Travis shrieked and almost fell outside from the drivers' seat.

Willie was dead too!

A knife was penetrated deep in his mouth. He didn't notice the blood oozing from Willie's mouth as it reached his neck staining his shirt.

Travis rose and quickly decided to ring 911. But before he could dial it, his HTC suddenly rang. He got startled by the sound of his own phone. He checked the screen to see who it was but the caller ID was blocked. He presumed it was E.

"WHAT?"

"Have you seen my gifts?" E's voice was so distorted and creepy, it haunted Travis big time. "You should thank me."

"You're sick!" Travis growled. "Fucking sick!"

"Thank you! Thank you very much!" E made a sinister laugh. "Sick is the new sane!"

"You'll not gonna be hidden in the shadows for long," Travis remarked. "You will get caught! You'll rot in jail!"

"Oohh... I'm scared!" E mocked. "The soon-to-be-stepson of a cop is threatening me."

"What do you want?" Travis asked as he was looking around the surroundings to see if E was there to attack him.

"Your blood!" E sickly answered. "All of them!"

Travis covered his mouth. He got disgusted.

"Yeah." E laughed sinisterly again. "Call the cops or you'll be a pig like them."

"Oh yeah? Why don't you just come for me now, eh?" Travis was furious. His mouth was running without his brain thinking.

E just responded with a laugh.

"Why do you have to kill these people? Why don't you just face the four of us, huh?" Travis was determined. "Got the balls for that?"

"You think it's all about you four," E said. "Lucky for you, you're still alive, but for them... their time is about to run out!"

Travis got stunned. "What? What did you do to them?" He headed to the road and waited for a cab to arrive.

"Same sick thing I'm about to do to you," E then hung up.

"Hello?" Travis cried on his phone. "Hello!? Damn it!"

Travis looked around. The vicinity appeared as if everyone was killed by E. Then, he looked back to his car. He thought of bringing it, but the problem was having Willie's corpse inside. Should he leave it or not? If he would leave it, where would he put it? And if he would dial the cops, he and his friends would definitely be butchered. But he was not sure if they were still alive or not. All he knew was E definitely is the definition of shady.

He was running out of time and ideas. His legs brought him to a road thirty feet away from the apartment. He got stuck and nowhere to go. Then, he saw a flash of light and heard an engine coming by. Finally, it was a cab.

He emerged to the middle of the road and waved his hands.

The headlights neared him and stopped as soon as it got close to him. He quickly wiped some of his tears. He could see the driver staring at him as if he was a fugitive. Well, you can't blame the driver's judgment because Travis was all sweaty and exhausted. Then, he went to the right side of the car the forty year old driver rolled down the glass window.

"Are you okay?" the driver had a very thick southern accent. "Where are you heading?"

Travis nodded and told his destination. "Bring me to Camp Belltone. The Lake House."

The driver nodded and told him to hop in.