Chapter 33

Chapter Thirty-three

Game of Confession

“Game day!” Jude O’Brien yelled.

The school bell rang exactly 4PM and everyone in Mapleton High was filled with excitement and was eager to watch and win the game.

All of them have one hour to prepare.

The Drum and Lyre started-off playing on the hallway to make the day more exciting and to pump all the students in Mapleton High. The whole school was filled with blue and white streamers – the official colour of the school. Tarpaulins of the footballers and banners were posted inside the school and outside the field.

People started coming and heading inside the field. The bleachers were occupied fast. The cheerleading squad started dancing and cheering for the Cougars with their mascot – Cougar Dude.

Richard Grayson’s parents arrived and sat on the front row, as well as Louis’s parents. Travis mom was there to cheer for their son along with Officer Adam Shay who left his duties for a while – he was still wearing his uniform, though. Ismail’s parents did not attend due to their business.

Meanwhile, Jude O’Brien was in the locker room pumping up. All of his teammates were ready and had left the Men’s Locker so he was all alone.

He resumed stretching up. After stretching, he grabbed his Android Phone and started tweeting.

While he was in the locker room, the lights suddenly flickered. He ignored it. However, something slammed from the other room. He thought that he was alone and that was where he got freaked out.

“Who’s there?” He squeaked.

Then, he started wearing his gear: putting his knee padding and helmet. As Jude walked out the locker, the lights were still off. Suddenly, the man in black overalls appeared from the shadows behind him. The man was following him.

Jude did not notice that someone was following him for the footstep of the man in black overalls was so heavenly. Then, the man slid out his knife from his jacket ready to attack Jude. Jude was unaware that he was being followed. His attention was pretty much focused with the texts that were coming from his cell. All were ‘good luck’ messages, greetings, tweets, girls asking him out and etcetera.

Jude was almost near to the exit door when the killer was about to draw the knife into his back. Jude heard someone looking for him and he expedited and sprang out the door and shut it without noticing the killer was behind him.

On the other side, Louis Lockwood and Claire Summers were on the bleachers waiting for the game to start. The music was so loud along with people chatting. So Louis and Claire weren’t talking for they will not hear one another. Louis was looking to all the people who were coming by: from the students of Mapleton and the students and folks of their school opponent. While Claire was with her cell tweeting.

Louis’s phone started to tinkle and vibrate inside his Armani leather jacket. He was expecting E to text him. But when he looked at the screen of his BlackBerry, it read ‘Willie’.

He opened the text. It was Willie asking him if he could talk to Louis somewhere outside the field. Louis looked around to see Willie but he was not in the field.

“Please stay here. I need to talk to someone.” He loudly whispered on Claire’s ear.

“Is this the killer?” Claire held Louis’s right arm.

“No,” Louis said to make Claire not to fret. “It’s Willie.”

Claire gave Louis a kiss on the lips.

Louis felt like the kiss made him stronger just like Popeye eating his spinach. The kiss was Louis’s spinach. “Thanks.”

Then, he made his way outside; students were going to-and-fro outside the field. He couldn’t detect Willie. He grabbed his phone and typed, ‘Where r u?’, and sent it to Willie.

He scanned around the vicinity of the school. No sign of Willie anywhere.

Finally, he saw Willie sitting alone on a bench beside a Custodian building. The surrounding was really empty except for Willie looking queasy and uncomfortable.

“Aren’t you gonna watch the game?” Louis asked as he was heading towards Willie.

“I will,” Willie smiled, “but I need to talk to someone. Is it okay if I borrow your time?”

Louis nodded and sat down beside him ready to listen.

Before Willie could talk, his phone started beeping. He shoved his hands in his pocket and looked at it: he seemed to receive an ‘E text’ for his reaction was elusive like Louis and his friends upon receiving a text from their stalker.

“What’s wrong?” Louis noticed Willie being queasy.

“Nothing,” Willie replied as he quickly shoved his phone back to his pocket.

“So, what is it you wanna tell me?”

“It’s about Edward,” Willie breathed in.

Louis ’s eyes widened upon hearing his deceased friend’s name.

            “...when he was still alive, I know that you saw me being bullied by Edward... right?”

Louis nodded and felt guilty that he did not do anything to stop Edward from bullying him.

“Your friend threatened me big time!” Willie proceeded, “he threatened me that he’ll upload nasty footages of me in the net if I won’t do what he was asking me to do!”

Louis’s gentle face made Willie more comfortable to talk.

“I become his servant just to save my reputation,” Willie added as he started to whimper.

Louis thought that Willie might be E. “Why are you telling this to me?”

Willie swallowed a gob of saliva and started to reply on his question. “I was forced: forced to tell.” Then, he stood up quickly from the bench and walked away.

Louis stood up as well. “Was the message you received came from E?”  

Willie stopped for two seconds. His eyeballs started to pace. He did not bothered turning to Louis to respond. He just proceeded walking elsewhere.