Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen

Sadness and Nervousness are Crawling on My Skin

“They’re here,” Steve McLaggen alerted his squad as Ismail Ambani and Travis Becker approach them inside the gymnasium. Sounds of sniffing and sobbing echoed as everyone were mourning for Alejandro Musso’s death. His teammates even made a shrine on the bleachers to pay tribute for Alejandro.

 Some students who knew Alejandro attended the ceremony that afternoon. The squad also invited Alejandro’s parents to come even though there was already a funeral wake being held on the same day, however, they did not attend for an obvious reason. Although the students of Mapleton High held a ceremony, they decided that they will still attend to the funeral wake after theirs was over. 

Steve brought a photo of Alejandro and placed it on the shrine and he started sobbing as well as the others. On the other side, Furon Sylvester approached Ismail and gave his condolences which surprised Ismail.

As Ismail was looking on the shrine, tears suddenly rolled down from his amber eyes as he saw Alejandro’s 8x10 photo on a wooden frame that was standing in the middle. Then, he looked at his wristwatch. “It’s time.” He stepped on the podium and started his speech.

“We all know that Alejandro Musso was a good dancer, a good choreographer,” Ismail started as tears kept rolling from his eyes, “and a good friend."

After he said the word friend, everyone sobbed even louder.

“He’s one of a kind. I’ve never met an awesome Hispanic dude like him. He will surely make you laugh,” Ismail continued as he was looking at the photo. He was very empathic, “that is why he will always be in our hearts.”

As he stepped down the podium, Jade Anderson approached him and gave him a hug.

Then, Regina Kendrick, the religious among the group, asked everyone for a moment of silence a she led the prayer. After praying, Ismail started to cry a lot. Travis cried as well for he and Alejandro had bonded but not as long as Ismail does.

As Jade was hugging Ismail, she suddenly kissed him. Ismail kissed her back.

Everyone in the gym paused and looked at the two seemingly watching a romantic drama. But it somehow looked inappropriate. Indeed, it was.

After kissing, Ismail noticed that everyone was staring at them and had stopped crying.

“Um, we’re so sorry,” Ismail felt embarrassed and he let go Jade.

Jade felt awkward as well for this was Alejandro’s moment, not theirs.

“Had to make some interlude for a while,” Furon whispered.

Sound of silence entered the gym.

Then, a mournful music started and students and some staffs resumed in sympathizing by giving flowers and memorabilia’s around Alejandro’s shrine. 

“Thank you very much for your coming.” Steve said on the microphone, “Um, announcement for Cougars. Please remain.”

Students – who were not cheerleaders – and staffs left from the gymnasium.

Steve tapped on the microphone to catch everyone’s attention then he let Ismail take the floor. “I know all of us are still upset. Alejandro is a big loss. However, we should get back to business and be professional. Of course, we will make some adjustments with the choreographies. Anything more?”

Travis raised his hand, “all of us should be here tomorrow, and especially the new recruits, because we will take your sizes. Auditions are still ongoing. Thank you!”

“Meeting adjourned,” Ismail barked. He looked at everyone as they walked out the gym. He saw Travis waved at him. He waved back. When the whole gym was clear, Jade walked towards Ismail.

“It’s okay,” Jade sensed Ismail’s sadness.

She took Ismail’s hands. And pulled her on the other side of the gym. The two stared at each other as they headed to the men’s bathroom.

Ismail knew what was coming, so he locked the door and checked every cubicle. Jade stepped inside the last cubicle and grabbed Ismail. She covered the toilet with the toiler cover and sat there. Ismail knelt down the tile floor and started kissing Jade. He didn’t care if the flooring was dried with pee or not but it seemed to be clean because the janitor clean the comfort room all the time. Jade started loosening and removing Ismail’s leather belt which made him flinch.

“What’s wrong?” Jade asked.

Ismail shook his head no. “Nothing. I just think we’re fast.”

“Do you want me to stop?”

“No.” Ismail quickly continued plating kisses on Jade’s neck as he removed her clothes. They smelled each other and just felt the moment. That was how they lessen their sadness.

The death of Alejandro Musso was a wake-up call for Travis, so he quickly went to Brent’s office. Luckily, Brent was there and available. He was sitting on his desk safe and sound. As he entered, he let out a huge sigh. He was always anxious and scared for Brent.

“Are you okay?” Brent asked.

“Yeah,” Travis smiled.

“What was that about?” Brent squinted.

“Nothing.”

 “Also, in my class? Asking me if I was fine?”

“Oh, that,” Travis pretended that it was not a big deal. “I’m always worried.”

“Well, there’s nothing to worry about.”

Travis was fidgeting.

“Was this about the killer? The deaths?” Brent asked, “That’s why you’re having this anxiety? You somehow are paranoid lately.”

Travis lifted his head up. “No, it’s not.”

Brent gazed at Travis which made him open his mouth. “Fine, I’m worried about you.”

“Why would you be worried?” Brent was so confused.

“I don’t know,” Travis replied without looking at Brent’s eyes, “Maybe, sadness and nervousness are crawling on my skin. But, I don’t think it’s good to talk about this right now.” Then, Travis lighten up his face, “so, do I have paper works to do?”

Brent tried to make eye-contact with him along with his grin. Then, he handed him the papers but he could still feel that something was wrong.

Travis was aware the Brent was analyzing him. As he gathered all the papers in his bag, he quickly said his goodbyes.

“Where are you going?” Brent asked. “I was about to ask if we could grab some coffee.”

“Oh, no need, Brent.” Travis answered as he opened the door. He saw students walking by. He was like uh oh, and then he started to pretend like it was a student-teacher conversation. “Have a nice day, Mr. Jones!”