Part 2: Duty Calls

CAP POV

Days had passed, cleaning up messes, doing debriefings, and I was tired. The end of this chapter in SHIELD was going to be a sad one.

Phil Coulson's memorial service. Preparations were being done, in fact, had been delayed. His ashes would be released into the atmosphere from the Helicarrier. Not only was he getting a twenty-one gun salute, but he was also getting the fly-by. I guess he would have liked that, but I know he was looking on from somewhere watching us protect the world he'd been sworn to protect. That was his greatest goal, to protect this world.

We were all hanging out at Shield HQ.

"Wonder what the hold up is," Natasha said softly, pouring us drinks.

"I was hoping you or Clint could tell us something," I sighed, nodding my thanks as she handed me my drink. "You two know SHIELD better than we do, Natasha."

Clint shook his head. "Things usually run on schedule with SHIELD, so I have to admit I'm not sure." He reclined in his chair. "I got places to be, though."

I frowned. "Don't you live here?"

Clint quirked a brow at me. "Do you?"

"I've got an apartment, but I have quarters here, too."

"Yeah, that's my setup."

"I think we all have setups like that, working with SHIELD," Natasha said quickly. "No one wants to live at work."

I had the feeling he was hiding something. "Oh."

"I own a tower, but I still like my place." Tony shrugged.

"Or that secret lab," I interjected.

Tony gave a small chuckle. "Pepper wouldn't have it, anyway."

The door slid open and Fury appeared. "Sorry for the delay, everyone. We have encountered a hiccough in the plans."

"What is it?" I asked.

"Coulson made some special requests upon his death," Fury's eye dropped to the floor. "And Steve, I think I'm going to need your help."

Steve?

All eyes turned to me. Tony had that oh pardon me look along with Bruce, and they exchanged looks. Clint and Natasha even looked puzzled, which made me uncomfortable. Thor just studied us all as always.

Glancing around, I rose as if reporting for duty, eyes level and ready for orders. "Okay."

"At ease, Captain," Fury exhaled heavily. He looked tired. "it's not...it's not like that."

I frowned at him, silently asking for some sort of sign or clue. If it was going to be a big secret, he would have summoned me to the hall. If it was going to be common knowledge, he would ahve told us all right there. His behavior was off. I looked to his expression for clues. There were none.

"Come with me."

I looked at my team, gave them a nod and followed.