Part 17: Star Wars V

LESEDI EVELYN POV

We spent the day at the mall. It was nice to be out. It was nice to go into stores and see things for a change. And those little store carts held the most wonderful things!

We were having pizza at the food court before heading our separate ways and then back to SHIELD. I loved having pizza. We didn't get much of that either. Dad brought pizza in sometimes, but mostly I made it at home. It was fresher that way, and Dad was always concerned about my diet.

"God, this is as sinful as chocolate!" I said pulling a slice of pizza that was held by a cheese tether. I bent to bite it free, and Steve laughed. "Thanks for letting me have veggie pizza. It's my favorite."

"Well, that's the beauty of a personal pizza," Steve smiled, pulling a slice of pepperoni and sausage. Clint lifted his slice and they toasted like they had wine glasses.

"THat's so much meat!"

"It is a bit much," Natasha agreed, biting into her pizza. "In Russia, it's fish, hot peppers, and--"

"Stop, just stop," Steve shook his head. "We're still trying to get you to leave anchovies alone."

"Hey, don't judge," Natasha bit into hers and chewed like a cow, then made a fish face, making me laugh. It reminded me of Clint's daughter, whom I met, and I almost let it slip. But that was Clint's secret.

"Look, we're men, we like meat, simple as that," Steve smiled, and then looked at me. "Something we can sink our teeth into."

"Whoa," Clint raised his eyebrows. Natasha fanned herself.

"What?" Steve looked at him, then did a double take at me. His cheeks colored; he was clearly embarrassed.

"What?" I asked. Steve suddenly took interest in his pizza, and Clint and Natasha laughed.

"Come on, girls room," Natasha said, rising.

I'd seen this on TV. She wanted to talk, and this was my first time doing this. Silly as it was, I was a bit excited. "Okay."

We did go to the bathroom, but Natasha started asking questions as soon as we were alone.

"So what do you think of him?" she asked.

"Who?" I came out of the stall to wash my hands.

"Steve?" Natasha gave me a look in the mirror. "He's interested."

"Natasha, that's--" I looked around. "Captain America you're talking about."

"Evie, that's--" Natasha mimicked me. "Steve we're talking about." She waited for an answer. "Well?" I was flustered, trying to find the words. "Forget it. Got my answer. It's good."

*********

"Wow, so Darth Vader is Luke's father?" Steve's eyes were wide with disbelief as he turned to me on the couch hours later. The Empire Strikes Back ending credits rolled.

I laughed at Steve. How could he have missed these? "Yep."

Steve shook his head. "I'm with Luke, that's impossible."

"Really?"

Steve did a double take. "Oh, come on!" He suddenly realized who he was talking to, then rolled his eyes at me. His smile turned into a small look of concern. "You're taking this really well, Sedi."

I sighed. When he called me that, I felt so much closer to him. "I'm okay because Loki doesn't know. He doesn't need to know, either." I brightened, not wanting to talk about it anymore. "Wanna see Return of the Jedi?"

"Yeah!" Steve shook his head again. "I'm dying to see how this turns out."

Just then, the apartment door chimed. We recognized the sound that told us it was Fury. I sighed again, but because he felt like an interference.

"Hi....Uncle Nick."

Steve gave a curt nod as Fury's eye settled on him. "Fury."

Uncle Nick swallowed hard as our eyes locked. He wanted to say something, but straightened instead. "It's been a couple of weeks now, Eve."

I went still as I watched him take a seat, and saw Steve turn toward him in his, creating a semi-protective barrier between him and me.

"We would really like to restart your training next week," Uncle Nick was saying one thing, but I sensed his anger. I sensed him checking it. "I am sure that is how Coulson would want it."

"Tests," Steve said, his brows coming together in a frown. His whole demeanor had changed. "Do you have a description of these...tests?"

Uncle Nick blinked. My eyes went wide. When Dad asked for test descriptions, Uncle Nick presented them quickly. He didn't expect Steve to challenge him, and until this moment, he wasn't sure how much was known. "I am sure--"

"I am sure that is how Coulson would want it." Steve let a moment pass before speaking again. "And I can take over her training. I have the time and experience, after all."

The silence was thick, a bit maddening. Uncle Nick was angry, and Steve was simply keeping his cool, having taken his stand and not budging. "Deja vu."

"Excuse me?"

"I can have them sent to you today." Uncle Nick's answer was a growl, and his gaze went to me. I felt like ducking behind Steve, but truthfully his sitting between us was good enough.

Steve gave a small smile. "Great." He gave a small chuckle. "Are these...new tests?"

Again Uncle Nick's eye narrowed. "To test abilities, no more no less, almost like a video game, really."

Steve leaned forward. "What does that entail? Can't wait to see it."

"Hmmm."

Steve lifted his chin slightly. "We're about to watch Return of the Jedi. Care to join us?"

Uncle Nick rose. "No thanks. My life is science fiction."

"Correction, non." Steve chuckled. "You forget, you're looking at two experiments here."

I managed a small laugh at that, and Uncle Nick did, too. Steve smiled.

"One experiment and one discovery, actually," Nick nodded, rising. "Have a good weekend."