Part 37: Dragons

CAP POV

"We are supposed to find non-glowing stones in here?" Tony asked. He was completely awed.

"We should get stones that glow, Steve."

"I am sticking to my word," I told them. "I am thinking all that are in the ravine tried to take the glowing ones. Maybe these dark ones glow outside."

"There's a pond and river flowing in here," Thor said. "A river." He knelt to look, and then gasped. He backed away, sitting against a tree.

"What?" Tony ran to him. "What?"

"There are dragons swimming in there!"

I crept close to the water's edge and looked. "They live in water, look at the gills." I backed away to be sure, and went where Thor sat. "Jackpot." I pulled three stones. "They look like dark crystals of some sort."

"Let's just go." Tony said.

"Yeah," I agreed.

Thor rose. "Let's be off, then."

We walked out of the cave, and Astrid looked surprised.

"You did not take a glowing stone?!"

"No, I told you we wouldn't."

"How odd you are!" Astrid said. "Bring the stones to me."

I carried them to her. Astrid took a deep breath and blew on them, causing them to glow like hers did. "What did--"

"Most of these glowing stones are eggs," Astrid explained. "Some hatch to become dragons but it takes a small eternity of your years. The dark ones do not; they are what the eggs draw nourishment from. Jotunir retrieve the shards of the dragon eggs on the other side of the mountain from the stream that starts inside the cave, which do retain some power for a time. Others--"

"Tried to take the live eggs."

"Yes," she seemed impressed that I figured it out. "The few who stole eggs from here sacrificed the men in the ravine for them, even tried to slay me for my heart." She gave a nod of approval. "Go in peace."

"Thank you," I bowed again, and she nodded back. We crossed the ravine and then I said, "Let's fly back before anything else happens."

Tony and I suited up, and then we took to the air with Thor.

Just as we were about to go down, I saw Ingemar and his warriors attacking Astrid from above. I actually saw more than the two as we saw at the beginning of the competition. There were at least six more men! Where did the others come from? She took to the air and the aerial battle began. They threw fireballs on her and she was wounded.

"Oh, no way." I shook my head. I tossed Tony my stone.

"Wha--"

"If she dies, the dragons die!" I told him, and took off.

Thor almost smiled and followed me.

I left the rest to Thor and Tony. Ingemar was mine.