Part 36: When to Fight

CAP POV

"Anybody feeling Jurassic?"

I looked at Tony. "What?!"

"We gotta take this thing down." Tony hadn't taken his visor off the animal as it growled.

"It can be done but it's not easy," Thor said, staring at it.

"Ever kill one?"

"Yes, but I'd rather not do it again," Thor said as it reared back to charge. "Remember Jonah, Tony?"

"Ew," Tony said, rising into the air. "You went into that thing's mouth? Kudos!"

"Leviathan?" I suggested quickly, referring to the huge flying animals that attacked in New York.

Thor began winding up his hammer.  "Yes." Within seconds Thor brought the lightning and aimed it at my shield. The creature didn't have a chance.

But then the ground crumbled.

"That wasn't me!" Thor roared over the noise. None of his charge hit the ground, I made sure of it. We felt the rumbling under our feet and began to back away. "Oh, no."

Two more beasts rose from the ground, tunneling with massive claws and angrily roaring.

"This better not be that cut one down, two pop up thing!" Tony said, and fired at one of the beasts's eyes. Thor knocked the creature out once it was blinded. I jumped on its carcass and crushed the back of its skull with my shield. I pulled out my shield just in time to catch Tony's shot and redirect it to bullseye the other creature in the mouth in midcharge, the ray shooting out of the back of its head.

Honestly after what happened in New York, this wasn't bad.

We stood still, waiting for the ground to settle, listening for more and preparing to do it all again.

Nothing.

Then the wolves began feasting on the beasts. The leader howled, and more came from nowhere. The leader looked at me and I knelt and bowed my head quickly in thanks.

"Right road?" Thor said.

"Right road."

Tony lowered himself  to the new start of the road. We had destroyed most of its ground level fighting. "Let's follow the road as much as we can, conserve energy--"

"And keep our eyes open," I added, shutting down my armor.

By midday, we were a lot further up the mountain. The winds were higher and the air was thinner. Tony and I decided to put our armor on again to help us breathe better as we climbed, but also to fly to catch our own fall.

We reached a peak and could see the blue flicker of rock at the next one, not too far off.

"Almost there," I said to myself as we looked at the natural beacon sparkle in the cold. "Any sign of anyone?"

"No," Thor shook his head, looking around. "but didn't we take the long road?"

"We took the harder one, I think were his words," Tony said.

"No sign of adversity?" Thor looked around. "It's too quiet."

"Let's keep going," I threw over my shoulder as I moved forward. "I wouldn't want to try..." the ground began to rumble. "Our luck...Thor!"

"I didn't summon anything!"

Out of the ravine next to our elevated path came leapt an ice dragon. Its scales looked like frozen ice shards, its horns like the mountain rock around us. But the eyes were a silver color, flickering with recognition. It was intelligent, and from small smile, I'd say female.

"Would somebody tell me why are all these creatures part of the damn scenery?!" Tony said in frustration

"Because we are all part of one another in every realm," the dragon replied. "That is why the circle of life keeps going. You must be a Midgardian. Your realm is the only one I know of that has beings who do not believe this." Her head lowered to get a better look at us. "You. You look...familiar."

"I am Thor of Asgard."

"Ah," The dragon nodded. "I am Astrid."

I bowed. "Steve Rogers."

"Midgardian, no doubt."

"No doubt."

"Such respect before battle," she laughed softly.

"Battle?" I was hoping not. She was intelligent, and I was hoping we could reason with her.

"So you are not after my heart, then?"

"Pardon me?"

"Many have tried--" She nodded to the ravine. We glanced over to see a mass grave. "Not many are worthy." She reared up on hind legs to reveal a huge blue stone in her chest. But it pulsated with silver, like it was her blood.

Thor held his hammer as if he was about to wind up, but then didn't. It was clear none of us knew what to do.

"I don't want your heart," I said.

Astrid bent down to look at me directly. "You don't?"

"I was hoping to get a stone from the cave behind you."

Astrid's eyes narrowed. "Why?"

"I need it to rescue someone."

"Someone?" Astrid was interested. "A woman?"

"Yes."

"Is she waiting to be rescued or to be claimed?"

"Both."

Astrid considered this. "And you don't want mine?"

"No, I just need a stone."

"You are the first who has ever not tried to take my heart," Astrid's eyes became soft. "Go into the cave. Get the darkest blue stones you can, each of you, and bring them to me."