Part 31: Family Union

LESEDI EVELYN POV

"I'll take her to her room." Ingemar said.

I was in a daze. Almost an entire conversation was had about my life and who I would be with, and I wasn't so much as listened to. Ingemar took my elbow and I pulled away.

"I think not." Steve said quickly. "You just stated interest. You're no longer a fit chaperone, if you ever were." Honestly I'd never seen Steve almost growl, but those last four words gave me chills.

"Her virtue is intact, I think that attests to my honor," Ingemar snarled. He was insulted, squaring off with him.

"How about--" Thor stepped forward. "I take her?"

Utgard Loki considered this, but was slow to answer.

"Thor will accompany me," Loki offered.

I thought I'd swallowed all my tears but one managed to escape. I drew a shaky breath, realizing this situation could be deadly. Brooklyn wriggled against me in his carrier on my hip. He'd begun to whine. He knew something was wrong.

"Agreed," Utgard-Loki nodded. "First, we will take her blood, and then you will be set with guest rooms on either side of her."

"Father--"

Utgard-Loki frowned at Ingemar. "I know that this is where you stayed as her guard, but now that post has been reassigned." His gaze swung to Iron Man and Captain America. "You will be royal guests in my wing, which is also where Ingemar's quarters are."

Thor took my elbow, and I didn't object to it. I looked up at him and he gave a small smile. Loki being my father was worse than anything I could imagine, but Thor being my uncle sounded pretty cool. Loki came to my other side, and I looked up at him. He only sighed. He looked so human I could spit. He was a walking lie, I had to tell myself that, but all I kept getting from him was affection and regret. I shook my head at him. I looked over my shoulder to lock eyes with Steve--

And the next moment I was standing face to chest with him. I'd teleported!

Before anyone could register what had happened, I put my hand on his chest, right over his heart, and he put his arm around me. He stroked my hair, and I felt the heat of my tears fall as I nuzzled his chest, reveling in the strong and steady beat of his heart. Even though I sensed no fear I was afraid.

"It's going to be alright," Steve assured softly. "We're here, now." He tilted my chin up to look at me, and he wiped my tears. He took a deep breath, and kissed my forehead. "Good night, Sedi. I will see you in the morning."

I couldn't trust my voice, so I just nodded. I caressed his cheek. There was  so much I wanted to say, and I could feel the storm of emotions in him though he looked calm. We could have stood there all night. He smiled, lightly rubbing my nose with his, making me smile a little. His arms opened and I stepped backward, turning when I knew I was back with Thor and Loki.

We walked back to my room.

"Do you have any idea what could happen tomorrow?" Thor asked as soon as the door closed.

"After I am declared Lesedi's father, much of the power goes to me--"

"And not to me?" I flopped down on my bed and took out Brooklyn. I began stroking him, trying to calm us both. "Oh, this is priceless."

"I may have to choose a mate," Loki said, and I locked eyes with him. "Do you feel anything for Ingemar? He seems smitten with you, very much so."

"I like him, but I hadn't thought of him that way." I sighed. "He seems nice, but--"

"Cap--" He took a deep breath. "Steve?" He looked at me. "Something has already started between you two, hasn't it?"

"That is none of your business--"

"What?" Thor's eyes narrowed. "I thought Coulson made him your guardian--"

"I am too old for a guardian," I murmured. "Not for an advocate. He protected me from Fury--"

"Evidently not well enough," Thor said angrily. "Exactly what happened between you two?"

"Gee, I dunno, Unca Thor, what happened between you and Jane Foster?"

Thor's nostrils flared as his eyes sparked. "You will not speak to me--"

"Good, I won't speak to you at all!" I saw Loki standing off to the side, trying not to laugh. "Oh, is it all fun and games....Pop?" I watched Loki's smile melt away. "If something happens to Steve, I'll kill you."
"No more teleporting." Loki ordered sternly. "You put him at risk, doing that."
I locked eyes with him. He was telling the truth. I sat on my bed, turning my back to him and soothing Brooklyn.

"I suddenly don't need a test," Thor said tiredly.