Part 38: Battle on the Bridge

CAP POV

I landed on the bridge to the caves, blocking Ingemar's way. "Turn around." I growled.

"So I am first--"

"No, you're not." I deactivated my armor and spread my arms. "Ready, boy?"

Ingemar got upset and charged, giving a warcry I was sure his brethren must have heard. I started running toward him and went into a tackle, flipping him over my shoulder. I turned around to see he landed on the bridge and turned.

I stood again, ready for the next charge.

He strode to me and the real combat began. I blocked his punches and push kicked him off balance.

"Stand down," I told him, remembering Lesedi's plea.

"No!" He got up. One of his cohorts threw him a staff. I brought my shield into play, blocking his attacks while still punching and kicking him when I found openings. He was angry, frustrated, and upset. He had been trained but lacked experience. I had to tire him out, but he wanted to kill me.

Once again I was blocking kicks and punches with my shield, but then started countering. He didn't seem to realize how much of a weapon of attack my shield could be. He was frustrated, and finally tiring. His guard dropped and I threw my shield against the mountain, sending it in a ricochet to hit his hand, and make him drop his staff.  "I don't want to hurt you!"

He frowned, then flipped back and threw something at me. I jumped in midair, and then curled behind my shield as I heard the small explosion against it. I landed easily, and stood, lowering my shield. I was getting angry.

"What are you fighting for?" Ingemar seethed.  He charged me and I flipped over him. Before he could turn around, I put him in a choke hold.

"I fight for her, her freedom," I growled as he struggled. "She asked me to spare you--" I anticipated his struggle when I said that, so it proved futile.  "Just stand down, damn it!"

His body suddenly emanated cold. Even my shield seemed as if it could freeze in my hand. I let him go, backing away.

"Third button we never talked about!"

I looked at Tony. He gave me a nod, the kind that said whatever I did could be irreversible. "Last--" he shot ice at me, and I saw the bridge freeze. I backed up and took the air. "Damn." I hit the third button.

My hands felt hot. I looked to see that my hands were glowing.

"Do it!" Tony yelled, kicking the last of the other warriors away.

I raised my hand and fired on Ingemar with a heated ion blast. He tumbled off the bridge, and I dove for him, catching him with one hand and the bridge with the other. I threw him up and Thor caught him. Just then part of the bridge gave way and I clicked my heels, propelling myself to land, and then ended up rolling into Ingemar, who had just been dropped. He turned to fight, but froze when I put my foot on his hip, blaster and shield aimed. "I am going to say this one last time. Stand down. She doesn't belong to you."

Ingemar looked around. He was the only survivor left of his party. He rolled to his feet, and put his hands up. Thor bound him with heated cuffs. "But you don't belong with her!"

I caught him by the front of his tunic, and stared into his eyes. "It is her right to decide!"

"To change her mind?!"

"To make a choice she can live with! That's worth fighting for." I pushed him away.

I looked across the abyss to the mountain where Astrid stood. I threw my shield and it ricocheted to the frozen part of the bridge, causing the surrounding ropes to fall. I bowed to her, and she bowed her head.

He kept eye contact with me until Thor turned him away. I powered down, and breathed.

"Steve?"

"Yeah."

"How does it feel?"

"What?"

"To fight for one person."

I didn't answer. I truly never felt I'd fought so hard in my life. I'd fought for ideals. I'd fought for the survival of citizens. I'd fought for prisoners to be free. But here and now, I fought to see one smile, to feel one touch, to hear one voice...and I didn't realize it till this moment-to be chosen.