Part 43: Escape from Jotunheim

LESEDI POV

We walked through the doors of the palace, then through the city. Jotun looked at us as we moved through, and city sentries whispered to each other as we went by, obviously told to let us pass. This didn't make me feel better. I looked up at Steve; he gave a small smile to reassure me, but I could smell the tension. He led me by the hand, walking to my left. Tony was to my right. Loki led the way, and Thor brought up the rear. I literally was in the middle. I was ready to go, but I wanted to get a look at the city one last time. We had to go up and then down to get to Thryhelm to cross the river into Asgard territory. As we climbed up I got to see what I hoped was my last view, although breathtaking.

I felt my hand squeezed. "Pretty looking, huh?"

I looked down at Steve's and my hand joined. "Yes, deceptively so."

"So is Vegas," Tony threw over his shoulder. "And L.A. All pretty lights, but there a dark side to everything."

"Not always," Thor said. "Some dark sides are not... as dark as others." I could tell he wasn't appreciating the view as much as he was trying to search the valleys for any signs of attack. Going downhill meant a speedier descent, but not just for us if we were followed. "Alright, let's--" He frowned, stopping in his tracks. We did, too.

Frost giants were coming, a large party of them on horses. And they were gaining.

"Ha!" Loki laughed humorlessly. "I knew it! Lesedi?"

"What?"

"Call your brother!"

"Fenrir?" I couldn't believe it, but then I realized he had a point. I turned toward the valley below. "FENRIR!" My voice echoed. In moments a wolf howled, and Loki smiled at us.

From both sides of the party came wolves, gaining on the frost giants.

"Ah." Was all Thor said. "We need to get to over the Thrymheld mountains to where the forests are. Go!"

We began to move faster. Thor took to the air, as did Tony, who took Loki. Suddenly, Steve was in an iron suit!

"What?" I couldn't believe it! "Since when--"

"Hold on!" He pulled me into his arms and took to the air too. As we rose higher, I saw the battle ensue between wolves and giants. As we descended, we saw that a group had escaped the wolves and were still coming.

"Keep going!" Thor yelled.

These frost giants were huge, bigger than the ones we'd been dealing with.

"Get her to the river!"

Loki grabbed me and I looked daggers at him. I wanted to stay with Steve, but I was considered a distraction. Why do they think I'm weak?