Part 25: Discovery

CAP POV

Wow.

This looks right out of a comic book, or some sci-fi adventure, or... "Star Wars."

"What?"

I didn't realize I said that aloud. Tony chuckled, but Thor wanted to know. "Nothing. It looks familiar."

"I seriously doubt that."

I glanced at Tony. Even under that mask I knew he was smiling, but also, judging by how slowly his head turned this way and that, was in equal wonder.

We came upon a huge horned man in gold, his eyes colored the same. He stood as one would a guard, which told me we were at the end of this bridge. "Visitors, Thor?" His voice was deep.

"I have important business to discuss with my father, Heimdall." Thor said.

"Would that have anything to do with all the commotion in Jotunheim?"

We all looked at each other.

"He has great sight," Thor explained and frowned up at Heimdall. "Commotion?"

"Yes, there has been some commotion...infighting in Jotunheim, not uncommon, but this time is..." He looked at us. "Different."

"Do you see a woman?" I asked. Heimdall looked at me as though I was not fit to speak. "Do you?" I watched Thor nod.

"There is a presence there-a new one-I thought perhaps it was a child," Heimdall replied. "It is not, then?"

"As I said, I have very important business to discuss with my father," Thor nodded.

"I will keep special watch on Jotunheim," Heimdall's gaze altered. "Pass."

Thor led the way. I looked at Heimdall to find he was watching me.

As we made our way to the palace, Thor didn't look at us, but others did.

"Is there any way you can remove your armor, Tony?" Thor asked as we approached the great doors of the palace.

"Right now?"

"Yes."

Tony hit a button, and the armor folded and went back into into a case. People gasped.

"Haven't they seen anything like that?"

Thor closed his eyes for patience. "No." He paused, reopened them. "I didn't think you were going to do that."

"Well, this is my travel suit." He gave a small shrug. "Automatic systematic."

Thor shook his head. I wanted to laugh. There are some real differences between our world and theirs. I get the feeling they have some technology, but it's nothing on Tony's level.

As we advanced, four people joined us, a woman and three men. They looked like soldiers. They stood expectantly, waiting to be introduced.

"This is Fandral-" Thor nodded toward the Errol Flynn looking guy. He gave a loose salute. "Hogun--" He gave a half bow, reminding me of warriors of the Orient. "Volstagg-" he gave a nod, reminding me of a huge Viking, or one hell of a defensive lineman. "And Sif." She nodded.

"Heimdall told me." Sif said.

"Brother and sister or no, he doesn't need to tell you everything."

"He said you brought strangers."

"This is Tony Stark--"

"Ah, the iron knight!" Volstagg smiled. "Did you bring it?"

"What?" Tony asked.

"Your armor! Thor told great tales of what it can do. I would like to see it."

Tony chuckled. "I'm not opposed to that."

"And this is Captain Steve Rogers--"

"The honorable American soldier," Hogun gave another bow. "Your acts of heroism are highly  respected by Thor." I nodded back at him respectfully.

"I am still curious, Thor," Sif's eyes narrowed at him, at us. "What is going on?"

"I would rather wait until we are in the throne room."

Thor's friends exchanged looks, and their faces became serious. They fell in step behind us, and I began to inwardly brace for what was going to be a very interesting exchange.

*******

LESEDI EVELYN POV

I couldn't shake it anymore.

I have never felt such pain and anger and betrayal...and it wasn't mine. I put on my fur cape and boots, instinctively knowing I'd have to go out, and moved toward the feeling. Maybe I could
find an ally or a friend.

The winds were gentle, not the bitter whistling ones I'd heard at times. It was a beautiful place, I thought as I looked about. Just like forests and hills, the mountains, snow slopes and ice had its own allure.

I heard a growl. I gasped.

"Come, child. You will not be harmed by me."

I followed the soft sounds and shuffles to find:

I backed steps, in fact several.

"I am Fenrir," he growled softly. "And you, are a child of Loki."

I gasped as I noticed dried blood on his fur. I instinctively stepped forward. "You're hurt--"

"I am a child of Loki."

"What?"

"You and I are both prisoners because of our lineage." He snorted. "Tell me, little one, what trouble has our father brought you?"

I drew a shaky breath. "I think they want to breed me."

"Ah, yes, you have powers desirable to any realm, I sense them," Fenrir said.

"But I will be rescued," I said. "What of you? How will you get out?"

"I think my father will come."

I laughed. "You believe that?"

"Yes."

I sat next to the shielding warmth of his body. "Tell me about you."

"You want to know--" he looked down at me and I silently pleaded. "Ah, younger siblings, and you are a wee one. Alright, Lesedi, I will tell you a little tonight."

I sat and listened to his rendition of Norse mythology, and I shivered at it not being myths. The stones in Midgard chronicled his capture when the battle tumbled there. I fell asleep to his voice, deep and vibrating with warmth as he told the horrific tales of battles won and lost, of his children who now were only a spec of what he was.

"The sun is rising, wake up, wee one."

I didn't want to go, and he chuckled. "Our time will come again. Go back before you are discovered here. It is good to see you, sister, it is good." I hugged his foot, and he nuzzled me. I turned to go, but then turned back quickly to kiss his nose. "Ah, Lesedi, you move mountains with that heart of yours. Now, go, be safe."

I moved back to the palace, hearing wolves in the distance. I heard his barks and howls, but now I wasn't afraid of them like I was before.