Chapter 9: Words

Elinn

I could hear the murmur of voices in the room with me and I began to get confused. Why were there people in my room? Were the men from earlier back to try and take me away? Maybe if I pretended to be asleep they would leave and I could find a way out of here. It was probably a better idea to go back to Master myself so he saw that I didn't leave on purpose, then his punishment might not be as bad.

I decided that I was going to keep my eyes closed and hope they all left the room soon. In a few moments, the voices quieted and the door opened and closed telling me someone had left the room. I could tell I still wasn't alone, however, and I wasn't sure who was in the room with me.

"I can tell you're not asleep anymore. Would you please open your eyes now?" I knew that voice, it was the man who had been in my room when I woke up last time. I debated whether it was a good idea to open my eyes or not. I didn't see a point in keeping them closed if he knew I was awake, that just made me more vulnerable.

I opened my eyes and slowly pushed myself up so that I was sitting. My movement sent slivers of pain up my back, but I ignored them as I focused on the man beside me. I didn't look him in the eyes, but I studied him. He didn't look like one of Master's men, but he still could be. His skin was tan and smooth, not covered in scars like mine was.

"I realized I never introduced myself yesterday, my name is Carter Jackson. I am in charge here so if you need anything let me know. What's your name?" His questions seemed so sincere. I knew he was only trying to make me think he was nice so he could rip that rug out from under me later. So I just stared at the wall beside him.

Apparently, that wasn't going to do for this man though. He scooted his chair so he was in my line of sight again, what was he doing? I wasn't looking at him so he knew that I knew my place. You don't look at people who have more power than you, it's rude. Didn't he know that?

"If you aren't going to talk to me will you at least look at me? It's kinda hard to have a conversation with someone who won't even look at you." Yeah, he most definitely did not know about the rules. How was I supposed to deal with someone who didn't understand the rules I was supposed to follow.

Before I could do anything else his hand was on my cheek. I flinched away from his touch assuming he was going to slap me. Then after a few seconds, I slowly looked up at him. He hadn't hit me. I couldn't remember how long it had been since a male had touched me without hurting me. I finally looked him in the eyes.

"Ahh, there we are, your eyes are stunning. You have no idea how long I've wanted to look at your eyes." His words were so...kind. I was embarrassed by what he had said so I looked back at the ground.

"Wait please, I promise not to compliment you anymore if you will look at me. I just want to talk to you that's all. Please just give me a chance," I contemplated what he was offering me. I didn't have to answer any of his questions, but that would probably end with me needing this hospital even more. I looked back up at him and waited for this first question.

"Okay let's start off with something simple. What is your name?" It was a simple question, or it probably should have been. For anyone else, it wouldn't have taken more than a second to respond, but I couldn't.

I hadn't been allowed to use my name in a long time after all trash didn't need a title it was trash. The only time I had ever been allowed to use my name in that place was when I had first arrived there. It was a memory that I couldn't forget no matter how hard I tried.

I was sitting in the back of the car like the man had told me to do. I thought he was upset because he was shaking so much. He hadn't said anything else to me so far. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do now, we had been in the car for what felt like days.