Chapter 52: Nightmare

Carter

It was late when I heard the door to my room slowly open. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and looked up to find a tired-looking, sweaty, crying Elinn in the doorway. I rushed to untangle myself from the sheets as she stood there.

"I'm sorry if I woke you up, I just needed to.....I was sleeping and I saw things. I thought someone had hurt you and I had to come see. I thought you still might be mad at me for what had happened and I wanted you to forgive me, but you were gone. I came to make sure you were okay, I was so sure you were hurt. But you're alright so I'll just go....." Elinn turned tears still falling down her cheeks.

"No wait Elinn, come sit down for a minute you don't look so good. Please, let me help you!" I called falling out of the bed as I finally made it out of the sheets. This caused a small forced smile on Elinn's face.

"No, you were sleeping and I woke you up, I am so sorry. I'll go back to my room, I shouldn't be such a burden on you. I need to go." I grabbed her arm before she could take two steps into the hall.

"Come in and sit down, you are obviously pretty shaken up. I don't mind that you came to get me, in fact, if things like this happen I want you to come get me. I don't care what time it is or what I'm doing if you are scared then I will be here for you." I told her and swept her into my arms. I carried her over to my bed and gently put her down and moved to sit a few feet from her.

I watched as she gingerly ran her fingers over the silk sheets. She traced the lines of stitching on it as if she hadn't seen anything like it before. It was odd because her bed was almost identical to mine and that thought sends my mind racing. I noticed the stiffness in her body as if it wasn't use to the way the bed sunk underneath her. The way her eyes jumped around any time she adjusted herself as if she thought she was going to fall.

"Elinn have you slept in a bed before?" It sounded like a stupid question, but with what had happened to Elinn in the past it didn't seem as odd.

"Master gave me a bed to sleep in, you must have seen it when you rescued me. Master was so kind to grant me the privilege of a bed." Elinn said averting her eyes.

I thought back on those brief minutes I had spent in that crypt when I first met Elinn. It had been cold and dark in that room and there hadn't been much in it. I remembered the stains all over the floor and wondering where they came from. At the time I had no idea of the past that had befallen my precious mate and just wanted to help a girl in need. There had only been two objects in that room and then it hit me.

"You're telling me that your bed was that tiny cardboard box?" I asked shocked. Her silence was the only reply I needed and the thought enraged me.

"Have you slept at all on the bed I gave to you?" Elinn shook her head and I sighed wearily. I reached out and took her hand gently squeezing it.

Is there any specific reason that you have decided not to sleep in the bed? I thought it was pretty comfortable when I bought it, was I wrong?" I teased slightly.

"No, it's just that....it's to....soft. I've never been given the opportunity to sleep on something so fluffy. I feel like it's constantly trying to eat me alive and make me a part of it." Elinn explained shyly as she stared at her hands.

"So if you haven't been sleeping on the bed you are afraid was going to eat you, where have you been sleeping for the past two weeks?" I was curious. I hoped she had at least taken the couch and hadn't been hurting her back by...

"I was sleeping on the floor," exactly what I didn't want her to be doing, of course. I let out a low chuckle and pulled her close to my chest.

"You shouldn't be sleeping on the floor! It will hurt your back and you already have too many injuries as it is. If you won't sleep on the bed will you at least promise me that you will at least sleep on the couch? Can you do that, can you do it for me?" She seemed to be thinking about it for a few moments before she nodded her head.

"Now tell me about this nightmare that you had, maybe I can help you feel better," I suggest rubbing my hands along her arms to remind her I was here no matter what.

"Carter, you said nightmare, what is a nightmare? Is it the thing that attacked you in my visions?" Elinn asked and I chided myself internally for forgetting that she might not understand what I was talking about.

"A nightmare is a scary dream, you do know about dreams right?" I asked and Elinn nodded sheepishly.

"Well, a nightmare is the opposite of a dream. They are supposed to be scary and usually happen if you're stressed over something and it's been at the forefront of your mind. Then when you go to sleep your mind brings those thoughts and feelings forward and makes them more emotional. It was just a dream it wasn't real." I assure her as tears continue running down her face. I gently pick her up and wrap my arms around her to support her.

"It was so real Carter, I was so sure that you were hurt. Master, he came back to get me, but I was hiding and he couldn't find me. Then you walked into the room and Master decided he would hurt you instead. You fought him, but he was stronger than you and overpowered you.

I was stuck somewhere and I....couldn't move," Elinn sobbed but continued talking. I wanted to help her through this, but the only way I knew how was to let her talk.

"Master pinned you to the floor and you just stared at him. You kept asking if he was proud of what he'd done to me, knowing who I was. You taunted him as if you were trying to pull all of his attention to you. He just laughed at you and kept tearing you apart.

He asked you if I was worth it since you knew what I was. Knowing that I was a monster, did you feel like it was all worth it. You looked down and shook your head and said something I couldn't hear. Then he punched you so hard you passed out. That's when I woke up." Elinn was crying harder and I could barely understand what she was saying.

"I'm here now, look at me Elinn. I'm just fine no one is going to hurt me, I wouldn't let them. That.....bastard isn't going to find you and if he does I will kill him before he can do anything to either of us." I tell her and I was serious. If I ever met the man who had caused my mate to be so frightened of men and refuse to touch or be near any sharp objects I would kill him.

I looked down and realized Elinn had fallen asleep against my chest. I gazed down at my gorgeous mate who had been so upset by what happened earlier she had a nightmare about it. I gently brushed the hair away from her face and moved to lay her down on the bed, she probably didn't want me in the same bed as me. She clutched my chest tighter before I could fully let her go.

"No, I need you here, so I know you're okay......please......stay with me." She begged sleepily.

I settled in closer to my mate and took her hands in mine.

"I'm not going anywhere, not now not ever."

AN: Thank you all so much for your support lately. Sorry, there wasn't a chapter yesterday I had a concert I went to for Secondhand Serenade. If you guys don't know who they are you should go check them out they're fabulous. Let me know what you guys are thinking in the comments. Until next time, bye bye!