Chapter 64: Flash Back

Carter

"It all started back when Elinn was two years old. I had been at Zaydens house to celebrate her birthday and was on my way home. When I crossed my borders I discovered the smell of a rogue and decided to take care of it myself.

When I finally found the rouge I couldn't believe what I saw. He couldn't have been older than twenty-five and was stick thin. He looked up at me and something about him made me want to help him. I think it was the fact that his eyes were the same color as my sons.

I asked him what he was doing on pack land and he told me he hadn't realized he was trespassing. He was trying to find something to eat and hadn't meant to disturb us. He apologized and promised that he would just leave, but I insisted that he stay. I brought him back to the pack house and offered to let him stay for as long as he needed. It was the beginning of our demise I guess." Marcus explained as he twiddled his fingers. I had been so anxious to hear this story that I didn't dare make a sound, afraid that he might stop.

"He lived in the pack house and was always involved in pack activities. He was kind to everyone and never really stirred up any trouble aside from the rare accident. He bumped into someone and they fell over or he was walking by a girl and his hand skimmed something. Every time the people involved assured me that it had been an accident and he hadn't meant any harm.

As the weeks turned to month and months turned to years he just became like one of the pack members. I offered him the chance to join our pack several times, but he always declined for some reason or another. I never thought much of it, just assumed he didn't want to be tied down to a pack or something. I should have suspected then and there that something was off.

When Elinn was about to turn nine everything seemed to be falling apart. Pack members had mysteriously vanished and no one had any idea how it was happening. Supplies were missing from storage and I noticed papers were missing from my office. It was only then that I began to wonder who could be doing this. Somehow I knew that it had to be him so I went to confront him about it all." Marcus paused seeming to collect his thoughts. It was obvious that these were painful memories for the man and I hoped that he would be able to finish this blast from the past.

"When I confronted the man about what was going on all he did was smile at me and shake his head. I had never noticed it before but his scent was different than any rouge I had met before. His scent was somehow stronger and I could suddenly feel this power radiating off of him.

Before I could do anything he had me pinned and I could sense that the packs borders were breaking down. I knew that something was wrong and that this man wasn't who he seemed to be. I remembered the lessons I had been taught about the first wolves and began to have my suspicions.

He locked me in my own dungeons and like a good villain decided to monologue since I would never get out right? Anyways he told me about his plans and I tried so hard to get out to save you Elinn I really did. But he was too strong and knew that I would do anything to make sure you weren't hurt so he took my son as leverage. I couldn't do anything without him getting hurt so I stayed for him, but I prayed for you.

For a long time, I thought that his plan had failed but then five years later I was dragged to your cell and told to do whatever I wanted to you. I was told that if I told you who I was my son would be killed so I didn't say a word. I just sat on the other side of the cell and did the only thing I could think of to give you strength. I told you to remember one thing, your name. You could forget everything else but not that, you had to remember at least that." Marcus walked toward the head of Elinn's bed and fell on his knees.

"Please, forgive me for not saving you. I am so so sorry, just please don't hate me." I could see the tears in his eyes as he begged Elinn to show mercy to him. I knew what her answer would be before she said anything.

"I f....f....forgive you," Elinn whispered and leaned forward to plant a kiss on her Uncle's forehead.

"She wouldn't hold it against you Dad, Elinn was never one to hold a grudge." We all turned to see a young man standing in the doorway. He was tall and slender though he didn't seem as thin as Elinn and Marcus were. He had a short mop of chocolate brown hair that he must have got from his Mom because Marcus had blonde almost white hair.

Marcus ran at the young man and wrapped him in a hug. It was obvious that this boy must be his son, the fact Marcus was crying really helped. They had the same hazel eyes and facial structure it would be hard to mistake them for anything except family.

"You're okay! After all these years, I knew you were alive, but I had no way of knowing.... You're alive!" Marcus cried as his son began to hug him back.

"It was hard, but at least I had a room. Nothing fancy, but you were the one who made that possible even though I knew the choice was impossible." He said comforting his long-absent father.

"I k....k....know you.... I've seen you b....b....before. But you were lit....t....tle and now y....y.... you are big. Your name i....i....is Elliot." Elinn looked at the young man in shock. The man not knowing how astonishing this moment nodded laughing.

"It sure is my little Elephant, I'm glad you remember. It would have been sad if you forgot your bestest friend after all we went through. I worked so hard to get you to like me, don't want to see all that hard work go down the drain." Elliot teased his cousin and she smiled up at him and my heart stopped. She was remembering things, things about her past.

"Sure w....w....wouldn't want that B....b....bear." Elinn smile softened as she yawned obviously exhausted by all this attention and interaction. I was just glad that she had jumped into the conversation and remembered something. I was so proud of her and how far she has come.

I crawled onto the bed and held Elinn knowing it helped her sleep. She needed to feel safe and no that nothing could get her. She pulled the blanket Luke had gotten her tighter against her and snuggled into my chest. I rubbed her back lightly as she drifted off. Then something Marcus said finally registered in my head.

"You said something about Elinn almost being nine. She told me she was eight when she was kidnapped," I felt as if some big revelation was coming forth quickly at this moment.

"Well yes, her birthday was the next day that's why everyone was so busy. They were trying to make sure that everything was ready and perfect. I was going to head over that week but was attacked before I could make it." Marcus informed me trying to see where I was going with all of this.

"When's her birthday?" This time the question was directed at Adara because if anyone had this answer it would be her parents.

"It's February twenty-second why do you ask?" They all seemed puzzled by my questions. I felt like this was an important landmark I just didn't understand why yet. Why did this matter so much?

"She turns twenty-one in two weeks, that makes her...." I trailed off trying to think of what could be significant about all of this. My wolf was distraught trying to get me to understand.

"In a two weeks she turns twenty-one," Zayden said and his eyes grew as he looked around at his family. Then looked at his wolf as if he had just had a sudden realization.

"We need to go, we'll let Elinn rest for a while." Zayden murmured and pulled Adara out with him as he rushed out of the room. He knew something and I was going to find out what.

AN: I hope you all are having fun with this story. I have some very exciting news......... WE JUST HIT ONE MILLION VIEWS!!! Can you guys believe that? I don't think I can count that high. I don't think I've ever had a million anythings ever! We were also number FOUR IN WEREWOLF TODAY!!! I am so glad that you guys are here and deal with all my craziness. I feel like I've really gotten to know you guys. I look forward to seeing your comments every day and hope that I'm doing this right and you're all still liking it! Until next time, bye bye!