Chapter 19: Dungeon

Carter

I looked down at Elinn as she slept. She was so peaceful when she was sleeping. All her apprehension about the world just disappeared. I hoped that someday soon she would be able to look like that all the time, not just when she was sleeping.

I sighed and made my way back down stairs to get the full report from Luke on Elinn's condition. I already knew that the recovery period for her leg must have gotten longer. I wasn't sure if her ribs had shifted and made anything worse than they already. Other than that I wasn't sure what else had happened to Elinn while she was touring my packs forest.

"Is she asleep?" Grandma asked from where she sat on one of the recliners. She looked pretty worn out after the events of the day. I couldn't really blame her, it had been pretty crazy around here for the last five hours or so.

"Yeah, she is sleeping now. I don't know how long she'll be out for, but I hope she gets some rest." I tell her as I make my way to sit down on the couch. While I had been upstairs they had moved it back to its original spot across from the recliners.

"Well, she seems to be in pretty good shape considering what she went through. She is most definitely going to have a cold come tomorrow morning. Her body isn't strong enough to really fight against it so we are going to have to get some pretty strong medicine. I'm not sure how long her body's gonna be able to hang in there.

She's been through twelve years of trauma. Parts of her body have already started to shut down. I'm having trouble coming up with a way to jump start her body into starting again. The only thing I can think of that would be Lycomium, but your father told me how opposed you are to that option." Luke's words made my insides twist around each other.

I couldn't lose Elinn she was already the most important thing in my world. I didn't know what I would do if she were gone. At the same time though I knew how much Lycomium would hurt her and I would never wish that type of pain on anyone. But if I didn't then Elinn was going to die, what was I going to do?

"Carter, I'm going to do some research on the subject and let you know if there is anything else we can do. I know how much you hate the idea, believe me, I feel the same way. If it's the only option we have then we are going to have to do it, and I'm going to need your help." I knew Luke would do all he could to find another way.

"Thank you, Luke I appreciate all that you've done for her. She really has gotten a lot better since she has been here. She doesn't look like she'll fall over any second anymore." Both my grandmother and Luke smiled at that comment.

"Carter, we were wondering if you wanted to come down to the dungeons. We have everyone in custody, including the women and children. We need your go ahead to release them and give them their room assignments." The mind link was from one of the warrior's who must have been on prison duty, Chad.

"I need to come down to start the interrogations anyways. Make sure that Beta Jonah and Delta Nathan are there as well. I want everyone ready when I get there, I have an announcement to make." I replied and then shut off the link. I didn't want to waste time talking I just wanted to get down there and get to work.

"I've gotta go I'm needed down in the dungeons. I don't know when I'll be back, mind link me if Elinn wakes up. I want to be back here before then, but I don't know how long I'm gonna take." I turned and walked towards the front door when Grandma's voice stopped me.

"Carter....you make them pay for what they did to that girl. Because no matter what you do to them they have done ten times worse. Even if you make them feel a fraction of the pain she did, you make them suffer." At first, her words took me by surprise. My Grandmother wasn't a violent person, but if she cared about them she would protect them no matter what. I just nodded my understanding and walked out the front door.