Chapter 55: The fight

Carter

All around me I could hear the buzz and whir of machinery. Where ever I was it smelled of bleach and hand sanitizer. I had no idea where I was at the moment, in order to figure that out I would have to open my eyes. If I opened my eyes then there would be lights and people and I didn't really want to deal with that right now. I could make out someone talking a little ways away from me.

"So neither of them have woken up yet?" That had to be Nate, but what was he doing here. Who was the other person they were talking about?

"Yes Delta, neither the Alpha or the girl have woken up yet." It was a female voice, but not someone I knew. It was obvious that something had happened I just wasn't sure exactly what could have been done.

"How are they? I know it's a dumb question, but I need to know what I should expect when they both wake up." Nathan told the woman. He sounded.....tired and Nathan was usually so full of energy what could have made him sound like that?

"Well, the Alpha isn't in the best shape of his life, that's for sure. His wrist was dislocated and will be sore for at least a week. The cuts vary in shape, size, and depth and some will heal in a matter of hours and others will take a day or two. They won't heal as fast considering who exactly caused these injuries and the intent they were inflicted with. The only medical advice I can really give is to make sure he takes his meds and make him rest." The woman chuckled apparently knowing enough about me to know that I wasn't a fan of doing what people told me to do.

"That's good then, I'm glad nothing too serious happened," Nathan sounded relieved by this information.

"I wouldn't say nothing serious happened Delta Nathan. This girl had a serious mental breakdown that caused her to violently lash out. Add to the fact the skill that was involved and the fact that she has had no prior training and I think something is very wrong here. She was trying to tear her skin from her body when you knocked her out, she obviously has some serious mental issues. I understand that she is important to the Alpha, but she needs help and I believe it would be best if we sent her to a place where they can adequately help her." The nurse suggested.

"NO! I am not sending her away, you have no idea what that will do to her. She's been through enough already I don't want to put her through more trauma. She won't understand why we would be sending her away and see it as rejection as her not being good enough to keep. She stays and we will hire someone to come in and help her here.

I know that what happened is a mystery and we still don't have all the information, but I can tell you this wasn't intentional. I know Elinn and she would never purposely hurt someone, even if they were hurting her. She doesn't have that sort of malice in her body and I know she wouldn't do that." Nathan told the nurse firmly and I could hear her sigh as she left the room.

I listened as Nathan walked across the room and fell into a chair. It wasn't near me so it had to be the other person, the girl. I was beginning to remember what had happened and I knew it was Elinn in that bed across from me.

"Elinn, you're awake! How long have you been up?" Nathan said surprise evident in his tone. I expected to hear a response from Elinn, but I didn't hear her say anything.

"Hey are you okay Elinn, you look kinda out of it? I guess that's to be expected a little bit with the drugs they have you on though." Nathan said again forcing a light air into his words. Again Elinn gave no response and it worried me. I forced my eyelids open and turned my head so I could see where Nathan was sitting.

My eyes met Elinn's but her's were different. Over the last couple weeks, her eyes had begun to fill with a light that had barely been lit when we found her in that room. She had begun to open up to people and smiled more. Now though I could detect no life, no hint of the girl she was before in those eyes.

"Elinn, what's wrong?" I asked her and got no reply. She simply moved her head so she could now stare at the ceiling. I noticed the restraints on her body and shifted so I could get up and remove them. When I did I felt a burst of pain shoot through my body and I looked down and noticed for the first time how beat up I looked. The memory from the training room rushed back to me suddenly.

I had been sitting here training with Elinn for a few hours and it wasn't going as planned. I had assumed she would be a little hesitant to learn how to fight, but I didn't expect the complete and utter aversion to it she had.

I would spend twenty minutes working to properly demonstrate the moves and Elinn would barely try. It was as if she thought she was going to hurt me by actually doing these things. She wasn't strong enough to hurt me, at least doing these basic movements.

"Come on Elinn, you aren't going to hurt me. I am a big boy and can take care of myself, but you aren't going to learn unless you actually try." I chided as she once again failed to properly demonstrate the technique I had shown her. I had to think of some way to get her to lash out, at least a little.

"I'm trying Carter, but I can't do this. There isn't a point to me training anyways, you promised to protect me so I have nothing to fear." Elinn reasoned as she stared at the wall so she wouldn't have to look at me. I was so fed up with this attitude she had towards training.

"And what happens if were to die while trying to protect you? What then, are you just going to cower in a corner and let people hurt you?" Her eyes shot up to meet mine and they were filled with a righteous indignation. An idea came to my mind and it was probably a bad one. I needed to cool my expression and hide my emotions away so that my eyes would be blank for what I was about to do.

"I know you don't want to remember when you were with those men, so forgive me for what I'm about to do." her eyes told me all that I needed to see. I had indeed guessed right that just the look in my eyes could draw forth the emotion of her time in that hell house. I was a monster for doing this, but that golden-eyed demon had warned me and I wasn't going to let my mate get hurt.

As I approached her I could see that her mind was caught in a memory. Something from her past had surfaced with that look in my eyes. I would only try to punch her if she didn't respond and stayed trapped in her memories I would stop my hand before anything bad happened.

Just before I was about to stop my fists forward momentum Elinn moved. I tried not to smile seeing that my plan had worked. I swung again and this time my mate blocked it and I couldn't stop the pride from growing on my face. As Elinn's eyes met mine my heart stopped, they were flickering rapidly from gold to their normal color.

Elinn moved her leg reaching to try and kick me in the face. I jumped backwards and tried to figure out what was happening. Maybe if I talked to her she could come back to me.

"Elinn, I know what I did was upsetting and I'm sorry. Please calm down so we can talk about this." I tried to reason, but she just kept coming. She was fast, faster than should be possible for someone who hadn't changed yet. I was having trouble keeping up with her which was impressive in all on its own.

One of her fists met my stomach and I knew what this wasn't going to end well. I shouldn't have pushed her when I knew there was something off about her wolf. These were the consequences of my own dumb actions and I had to live with the consequences.

More and more Elinn's blows hit me and it was starting to hurt really bad. Then she flipped over my head and knocked my knees out from underneath me. I went toppling onto the floor and my mate jumped on top of me and starting pounding into me. I cried out for her to stop, but she either couldn't hear or didn't care.

"Do you know what it's like? Do you? To be stuck living in a place where no one cares for you? A place where anyone can hurt you and it would be normally and no one would care. You don't I doubt you have any idea about what it's like." She hissed and her hands moved to my throat. I clawed at her arms not wanting to die like this. I didn't want Elinn to feel guilty for my death.

Then she was gone and Nathan was above me. I choked and coughed as the air rushed back into my lungs. Nathan kept checking me for injuries then turned to Elinn. She was tearing at her own skin trying to escape.

"Elinn stop that, you'll hurt yourself!" Nathan called out but she wasn't listening. The mate I knew was gone and I had no idea where she was.

AN: Sorry it's a little late, it's been a busy weekend!