Chapter 24: Gifts

Carter

"We need to get ready for whatever is about to go down. I want the number of warriors on patrol increased and shifts to be shortened. Everyone needs to make sure they keep up their training schedules and we need to review the procedure for an attack. I don't want to take any risks, I won't have any member of my pack in danger." My orders were clear and people began spreading the word.

Right now I was in the middle of a council meeting with my pack. After what Elinn's wolf had said I wasn't leaving room for error. I didn't know what to expect from this mysterious visitor she had mentioned. I had no way of knowing who it was or if they were on our side or not.

"The warriors have been informed of the changes and have already begun creating a new schedule. They understand why we are doing this and wanted you to know they will protect the Luna at all costs." Mort informed me as he closed his mind link with the warriors. I thanked him and continued giving orders.

"Their will be a new mandated curfew that will apply to everyone below the rank of Delta. Everyone is to be inside their homes or on their own property by nine o'clock. I won't take away the privilege to be outside if people stay on their property. If it proves to be an issue I will take away that privilege. The only people who are allowed outside are the warriors who are on shift and anyone with direct approval from the Beta, Delta, or me." As I said all of this I could see most of the people in the room mind linking those they knew about the new rules.

"The consequence for being out past curfew will be decided on a case to case basis. The probable punishment will be extra chores or a night in the cells. The curfew will begin tonight, but consequences for being out past curfew won't begin until tomorrow. This way we can make sure everyone knows about the rules and the consequences for breaking the rules. Do I make myself clear?" A chorus of yes Alpha's filled the room.

As the meeting continued I noticed a group of girls who were waiting near the door. They couldn't have been more than eight or nine, I assumed they were waiting for their parents. After a few minutes on of the girls approached me the other five or six trailing behind her.

"Umm, Alpha can I ask you something?" The little girl asked wringing her hands nervously. I bent down so I was on the same level as her, I wanted this little girl to know I was really paying attention. To often I had watched people ignore children when they had some of the best idea's out of everyone.

"Yes you may little one, but first you have to tell me your name. We can't have a conversation if I don't know your name now can we?" The little girl smiled at me and extended her hand, I shook it.

"My name is Annelise Coast and my dad is one of the warriors. He's right over there, he helped me and my friends with our plan." The girl pointed towards Chad, he was in charge of the dungeons security.

"We all made cookies for the Luna, and Kelsey made her a flower crown. Then Corbin my older brother helped us all make a music box for her. We just thought that she might want something to call her own." Annelise said and I smiled at the youths around me. I spotted the young man who was standing behind the seven little girls who had taken the time to think of someone else. I extended my hand to him and he took it in his own.

"You must be Corbin, thank you for helping these girls with this project. I think the Luna would be very happy to meet you all and see what you've done. Come on, you can all go up and say hello to her," I lead them down the hall and up the stairs into my personal living room.

"You wait right here, I need to get the Luna from her room. Then we can surprise her with all of you goodies," The girls all smiled up at me. Corbin flopped down on the couch as if he was exhausted from herding these girls around was a real challenge. I exited the room and knocked on Elinn's.

After a few seconds a disheveled Elinn opened up the door. I smile as I looked at her hair that was sticking up in a thousand different directions. I chuckled and grabbed her hand guiding her towards my room.

"Wait, Carter where are we going?" Elinn asked rubbing the remaining sleep from her eyes. I wasn't sure how she was going to react so I just smiled at her as I opened the door and guided her inside. Her protests stopped as she saw the people in the room. She went stiff, but Annelise stepped forward quickly.

"Hi Miss Luna, my name is Annelise and these are my friends. We were thinking that you might want some things so we made you some stuff. We hope you like it!" Annelise stood smiling proudly up at her Luna.

Elinn seemed to observe the scene before her as she squated down to be at Annelise's level. It took some effort considering the large brace on her leg, but she didn't let it stop her. She gently took the girl's hand in her own.

"Well then let's all sit down and you can show me what you've done. I haven't had a present in a very long time. I would be honored if yours was the first I received in some time." All the little girls squealed and rushed to find a spot to sit where they could still see their Luna.

Elinn tried to sit on the ground, but I beat her to it pulling her into my lap. She worked to get out of my grip, but I held her tighter. Elinn seemed to accept the fact she was now forced to sit with me. I certainly didn't mind and the girls just giggled at the sight, while corbin blushed a little and fiddled with the box in his hands.

"Luna will you open mine first PLEASE!" A girl asked as she extended her gift toward Elinn. My mate took the box from the girl and carefully unwrapped the box. Inside lay a bag of homemade chocolate chip cookies.

"These are for me?"Elinn seemed shocked by the gift. Only then did I remember she wasn't use to being able to eat whenever she wanted. So this simple gift meant a lot to her.

"You are in a new place Elinn. You may eat whatever you want now." I whispered in Elinn's ear. Her hands shook as she took a cookie out of the bag. She acted as though the cookie would disappear from her hand. She took a big bite and a smile lite her face and she patted the girl on the head.

All the other girls rushed forward wanting their presents opened. As Elinn opened each gift she was just as shock by the things she received. She ended up with a bead necklace and bracelet, a flower crown, a hair pin, a picture of a wolf, and some nail polish. The last person to give Elinn their present was Corbin.

"I know it isn't that good, but I hope you like it. If you don't I understand, it really is stupid." Corbin said as he handed Elinn the gift.

Elinn opened it and gasped at the box. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. Elinn opened it and listened to the music play. She stood and pulled Corbin into a hug which caught him by surprise.

"It is perfect, I couldn't have asked for something better. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever had. Thank you." With that Corbin hugged her back a small smile lit his face.

AN: Thank you all so much for eleven thousand views. It means so much to me. I am so glad that so many people are enjoying this book. Shout out to XxNixxon5evrxx who reminded me of what it means to write. I do this to allow other people to escape their world. Until next time, bye bye!