The truth comes out-16-

*Maya’s P.O.V.*

I was running for my life. Literally.

At the age of fourteen, I had left Snows palace, more like the queens, for safety. I knew Regina had done something to Snow. Since then I’ve lived on the streets, getting by on whatever I could. Sometimes it involved stealing, like now.

“Get back here you filthy orphan!” the backer shouted. I had stolen a loaf of bread.

“Not today!” I shouted back over my shoulder. That’s when the guards showed up. As I ran through the woods, they shot arrows and threw knives. I dodged each one. I turned a corner and slid into a bush. They ran past. After what I would say an hour, I left my shelter.

I walked toward my temporary home. An old house abandoned house. It had three old mattresses, lots of string and a few old spin wheels. All the cloths were fit for old women and a little boy. Once I was inside, I started to eat the now cold bread. A snap of a twig caused me to go outside.

I grabbed a dagger and slowly made my way out the door. I turned the corner to the house and felt a dagger pressed to my neck

“You coming with me, Nap.” They spat in my ear. I knew that voice anywhere. Regina.

***

I jolted up in a cold sweat. I sat on the floor thinking about the memory that had resurfaced.

“You okay?” Peter asked. I nodded. He sighed and grabbed something off this desk.He sat next to me and handed me a cup of tea. My peach tea. I drank took a sip and rested my head on his shoulder.

“What was it about?” He asked.

“What?”

“The dream you just had. The nightmare.”

“Who said it was a nightmare?”

“When you have a nightmare you react two different ways. If the memory or dream caused you to be upset or angry, you cry and scream in your sleep. If it causes fear, you can’t wake up and break out into a cold sweat.” He dabbed my forehead where I had been sweating.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” I mumble.

“Maya, I just want to help you. You helped me last night. Let me repay that by helping you.”

I looked him in the eye. He was telling the truth and he wasn’t going to give up anytime soon.

“Fine,” I took a seat on the bed and sat the cup down. “It was back in the Enchanted Forest. I was about fourteen at the time and…”

“*Flashback*

I didn’t move. She spun me around to face her.

“You’re going to help me lure out Snow White.” She tied my hands and bagged my head so I couldn’t see. I was then thrown into a prison carriage. I knew it was a prison carriage because of the hard wooden surface.

After hours of riding we finally stopped. Outside of the cart I heard lot of conversation. A little yelling. I think we were in the village. I heard the doors open and I was pulled out. The people who pulled me out dragged me up on to a stage.

"This girl, Maya Nap has been found guilty for thievery. She had been sentenced to hanging. But before she dies she has one more task."

Regina smirked and put a hand on my heart. I took in a sharp breath.

"Please, Regina,  you don’t have to do this!"

"It's 'your majesty' to you."

I felt her hand go into my chest. Tears leaked from my eyes as her fingers wrapped around my heart. Then her hands left my chest and I was able to breath.

Some one had tackled her. It was a person with a dirty green cloak. After bringing Regina to the ground they turned to me.

"Get up, Maya.  We've got to go." A familiar female voice whispered shouted.

"Snow?" She smirked.

"Who else would it be?"

*End of flashback*

Peter was silent.  After minutes,  he spoke up.

"She... ripped your heart out?"

"Almost."  I said remembering the pain of her hand. Peter rubbed tears from my eyes. I didn't even realize that I had started crying.

I buried my head in his chest. I could he was shocked by it. It took him a second to realize what was going on. He then wrapped his arms around me. One hand stroked my hair.

"I promise that will never happen again. Ever."

I nodded.  After five minutes I raised my head and rubbed my nose.

"Can I go visit the girls?" I asked.

"If it makes you feel better." I nodded again. We stood up, he grabbed my hand,  and flashed somewhere.  He pointed in the direction of where they were located.  He said I could stay till they were all asleep,

As soon I stepped into the clearing I was pulled into a group hug. All the girls giggled and told me stories of what happened when I was gone.

We had a bonfire,  sang camps songs, and played games. As they settled down for bed, I read them a story. One of the girls had curled up in my lap while I read. By the end of the story her and the other were asleep.

I held her close to me and stroked her head, waiting for Peter to come retrieve me. A few minutes later Peter sat next to me. I laid my head against his shoulder.

"Thank you." I whispered.

"You're welcome."

I stood up and tucked the little girl into bed. I walked back over to Peter. He once again grabbed my hand and flashed back to the tree house.

"You can go to sleep if you want. I've got something to do back at camp."

He walked toward the door. I bit my lip debating whether or not to ask.

"Uh, Peter," he turned around, "can- is it possible for you to stay in here until I fall asleep?" He smiled.

"Of course."

Instead of sleeping on the floor I chose the bed. I saw Peter raise an eyebrow but didn't question.

He sat on the side of the bed where I laid. He gently rubbed my hand. Right before I was completely asleep he started to stand up. I think I grabbed his wrist and pulling him down because he ended laying down next to me.

Knowing that he was there to comfort me kept me in a calm sleep.