Chapter Twelve

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

Milo could feel his palms become sweaty despite the fact that it was fairly cold outside and inside the castle as he and Silas arrived during the evening. He had been thrilled earlier at the prospect of seeing Remus again as it had been so long since he had seen his godfather, but more thoughts seemed to settle in his mind as he took his place at the Hufflepuff. Silas parted to the Gryffindor table, greeting some of the other students before he took his place beside a girl that he started talking to. Milo gave a small smile, glad to see that Silas was happy, and he knew that Elspeth was happy as well. Even if she had to manage working with the dementors on the ground in search of Sirius, Milo figured that she was just thankful to stay close to her son.

However, while Milo's thoughts wandered to Harry and Cedric, anticipating their arrival at any moment, he also thought about how he probably just couldn't keep going to Remus for help. He was now his professor and he was sure that Remus would probably want to keep a professional air about him. He was going to have to call him Professor Lupin, which felt odd since he was so accustomed to calling him solely by the man's name. He was also going to be one of the few in the castle aware of the man's struggle with lycanthropy, probably the only student outside of the professor that knew about it. 

Tapping his fingers against the table, Milo apparently had summoned Paden to appear from within his robes as the bowtruckle climbed onto the table, chirping to capture the boy's attention. Milo peered down, his glasses sliding down his nose, bringing him to smile. 

"You know Paden, I had a marvellous thought earlier," Milo said leaning his chin down to rest on the table so that he was eye level with Paden. The bowtruckle chirped curiously, edging the boy to go on. "I'm sure during your time with Newt that you heard about mooncalves, at least once."

Paden chirped again, bringing Milo to furrow his brow. "Wait, hold on, I can do this," Milo straightened himself for a second and let out a small chirp that seemed to resonate with Paden as the little creature grew excited to hear his spoken language. Milo had been working incredibly hard on mastering the bowtruckle speech in order to have conversations with Paden in private. It definitely seemed to be paying off.

"Alright, so mooncalves only come out during a full moon, right?" Milo continued. "And werewolves only really feel the need to attack humans instead of animals, so I'm thinking that a mooncalf would be the perfect company for a werewolf, don't you think?"

Paden blew a raspberry in the boy's face at the idea. 

"What? What's wrong with my idea? If I was a werewolf, I would be entertained by them, they're adorable! Those big blue eyes and-"

He stopped as Paden turned away from him, jealousy easily overtaking the bowtruckle, bringing Milo to chuckle. First the dragon and now mooncalves, it was safe to say that Paden more than likely had to remain as his only beastie companion for a long time.