Chapter Twenty-Nine

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

When Halloween arrived, Milo was nervous, not because of Harry situation he had placed himself in, but because he was nervous for Cedric. As Elspeth and his mother worked out, he was surprised when Harry approached him, asking if they could meet up later in the day on Halloween because Elspeth wanted to spend time with him and she had "limited" time to do so that day. Milo wasn't sure why he thought the plan was going to be so elaborated or complicated but he felt foolish that the solution seemed pretty simple. Harry was going to want to spend time with his godmother and Elspeth wasn't going to protest spending time with one of her godsons. So it all worked out way better than Milo planned and he agreed that he would meet up later with them when he returned from Hogsmeade. 

Cedric, on the other hand, had been biting his nails since the start of the morning when he and Milo met up for an early breakfast. He seemed hopeful that Anne was going to be better about the whole situation, she had been the one to reach out to Cedric in hopes of talking to him. Milo certainly hoped that Cedric was right, but it didn't stop the two boys from being nervous. Cedric even voiced the fear of his father showing up and condemning him right on the spot in front of their peers inside the village. But Milo promised, he wouldn't let it go that far, even if he did get in trouble for using magic off the ground, he would silence Amos before he could do anything too drastic. 

All the third years and returning students seemed quite thrilled about the trip to Hogsmeade, while Milo had to keep reminding himself to breathe. His mother was collecting permission slips at the last second from students and when she saw her son making his way towards the village with Cedric, she gave a nod of her head as silent encouragement and reassurance that everything was going to work out the way it was supposed to. Milo gave her a small smile before turning his attention back to Cedric. He wanted to hold the boy's hand to reassure him, but he couldn't do that and Cedric want to hold Milo's, but it was all about one step at a time. 

His parents had once been the only people that Cedric knew when he was a boy growing up and quickly, they had become everything in his life. Then he grew older and met more people, but he never forgot how much they meant to him. But now he was facing the possibility that they were about to become nothing in his life. If things didn't work out with his mother, he wasn't going to have either one of them to fall back on and he wasn't sure where he was supposed to go from there. Where would he go if he wasn't welcomed in his home anymore?

He felt like he was going to be sick at any given second until he heard Milo start to speak next to him. 

"Did you know that Porlocks were once considering beings rather than a beast classification?" Milo asked him, bringing Cedric to look awfully confused. It took him a few seconds to realise that Milo was trying to distract him from his own nervous thoughts. 

"I-is that so?" A faint smile appeared on Cedric's face as he continued to listen. 

"Yes, and it was merely because they walk on two legs. Of course, this was back in the fourteenth century and the guidelines have changed plenty since then. But I always thought it was interesting. Normally, they base it on how close a creature is to human intelligence and physical appearance. Although, I suppose I can see where the centaurs found that to be rather insulting when they were labelled as 'near human-intelligence.' Gives off the vibe that humans are the smartest beings on the planet."