The 1st Task

“We’ll do exactly as planned, alright?” Harry said his eyes wide and assuring. Emily nodded, firmly gripping on his hand even more, “Exactly as planned.” She leaned in forward to Harry and whispered, “Hermione’s by the back of the tent, you go. I’ll stall whoever comes by.” Emily then left and plunged into conversation with the other Champions.

Harry walked apprehensively to the back of the tent, silently calling out his best friend’s name.

Then, a reply came back; well it was more of a squeak of Harry’s ears. He quickly pulled apart the closed exit way of the tent and jumped out of it, startling Hermione on his way.

“Hi.”

“Hi.”

“Is it done?”

She nodded, a few creases of worry appearing on her face, “Are you sure this is safe? I mean, the Dragons – “

“Oh, you mean the fire-breathing creatures of hell that the Ministry arranged to kill us? Yeah, I’m sure they’ll be safe after this.”

“Harry.”

“Hermione, honestly, the last thing my sister and I are thinking about is the well-being of those things. They are meant to kill us, besides...” He paused, looking sideways if no other ears were listening, “Those Dragons have hides that are thicker than anything in the world, and I doubt that whatever Emily’s planned will melt their skulls.” He paused for a moment, “Okay, it might temporarily blind them or pluck off a few scales.” Harry says with a shrug, “I might as well give that point to Emily.”

Hermione nervously shifted her weight on her two feet, “Oh, fine. I’d better go now before anyone sees me here.” But before she left, she hugged Harry and bade both him and Emily the best of luck. Harry watched Hermione leave the area, his lungs heaved with every breath he took. Harry went back inside the tent; he took a quick scan of the room and noticed that Emily had done a good job of stalling the others from going to the back.

Once he saw the happy look of his sister’s face, his worries of having to fight Dragons lifted from his shoulders. Those worries of having to go on a suicidal task was no surprise to him, looking back at the stupid (and life threatening) things he and his sister, they were almost getting used to it.

What pained him the most right now was what might become of the other students after the three tasks, because, in some inexplicable part of him, Harry was and is sure that situations like this... There was no time for being optimistic. In one way or another, someone was bound to go into either insanity or death. Harry looked around the tent, seeing the others chat with his sister; he couldn’t put himself to think that one of them might not come out by the end of the year alive.

~

“Eh-me-lee-ya?”

“Eh-me-lee.” Said Emily, carefully pronouncing her name for Viktor to say.

“Emm-meh-lee?”

She nodded, “That’s good.” Emily said with a small laugh, “Really good, actually. Have you been practicing?” She asked jokingly. Viktor laughed along with her, “Laugh all you vant, Ehmehlee. I’d bet 10 Galleons that my English is as good as your flying.”

Emily scoffed, “Excuse you,”

“You heard me.”

Emily’s hand began to twirl her wand, a habit she did when she was extraordinarily eager, “Alright then, let’s see. You and me, down by the Quidditch grounds after 48 hours, winner takes all.”

Viktor seemed to have gained a whole lot of interest in the challenge, “And what is all?”

“Winner gets 10 Galleons and an all-expense paid trip to Hogsmeade, sounds like a deal?”