Home

DEPARTURE

“May I?” Thomas asked, holding up my coat for me. I smiled, allowing him to place it around my shoulders. The week in St. Mungo’s has ended, and I am to be escorted back to Hogwarts. To be frank, I felt nervous about going back to school. I’ve been gone for so long, I’ve missed so many classes...Aunt McGonagall will surely have my head for it. But not of those thoughts now, I’m about to depart my room for Merlin’s sake.

Thomas was kind enough to offer himself to me, to lead me back home by train. I’m grateful for having met him, truly. I charmed my trunk to levitate by my side, Thomas never seemed to get used to the fact that I could do magic without a wand. His face went serious for a moment, searching in his pockets, “That reminds me, here you go.” Thomas returned to me my wand.

Sparks ignited by the tip of my wand, clearly I’m too hyped for this day. Thomas put a guiding arm around me, steering us both into the elevator, “Let’s go before your wand causes a fire.” He says jokingly, pushing the down button.

“You’ll write to me, won’t you?” I asked, looking at his direction. Thomas showed me a small smile, looking as though he was holding something back, “Of course, every week if you want me to.” He said with a wink. In a matter of seconds, we have reached the lobby of St. Mungo’s. Thomas showed me to the registry to sign me out for good, thank Merlin.

An elderly witch with her hand perched by her ear handed me a log book of patients confined in the hospital, “Sign here, Miss Potter, and then you’re good to go.” She said along with a warm smile. I complied, maybe a bit too eagerly because I tipped over a bottle of ink when I was about to dip the quill in. I muttered an apology, nonchalantly snapping my wand over the mess to clean it up. Shortly afterwards, I signed the logbook and Thomas and I went our way.

I quickly removed the levitation charm I set on my trunk, it was only right since we were in the Muggle part of London. I’ve heard that to a Muggle’s eyes, the hospital of St. Mungo transforms to look like an old, run-down Church built in the 17th century. But to me, to us wizards, St. Mungo’s is a tall structure made up of stone and marble. But I’ve heard from Madam Beliafleur that one floor of the hospital is completely made of moonstone, it’s for patients with lycanthropy, I reckon.

“Your trunk, little miss?” A man’s voice said, pulling me from my thoughts. It was a cabby, I think judging from the I.D he wore around his neck saying so. Thomas took my arm, taking me to the backseat of the cab, “Yes, thank you very much, sir.”

I got in the cab, Thomas by my side. I looked at him questionably, not having a clue where we were headed. He caught my bewilderment, tapping the cabby on the shoulder, “To King’s Cross Station, sir.” Thomas said, handing him 20 quid, “Keep the change.”

“Aren’t you a generous man,” I said in hushed tones, “Wouldn’t it be easier if you had called a car from the Ministry? Surely they would have been more than welcoming –“

“So, how did you two meet one another?” The cabby asked, looking at us through the rear view mirror, “If you don’t mind me asking of course.” He added with a hearty laugh. I turned to Thomas who looked just as fazed as I was, “Sir, mind me asking why?”

“Well, you two just got out of the Church of St. Mary! I’ve driven a fair few newlyweds from that lovely place, shame that the people stopped caring for the Church, I reckon a lot of people would get married there if someone re-paints it and such.” He says, his eyes twinkling in jolly, “You are married, you lot aren’t you? I noticed you two wore wedding rings, so I just assumed –“

“Oh, yes. We are married,” Thomas said, and leaned over to me, his lips hovering over my ear, “Go along with it, Emily. It can help us maintain cover.”