Day before Task 2

“What could they possibly take away from me?” Emily asked, pacing to and fro, “There are two ways that this task can go, it’s either they took a material thing or a thing that really... Oh blimey, a thing that really matter the most, do you get what I mean?”

Hermione shook her head, her flouncy hair bouncing as she did, “Not really, no.” She kicked at the legs of Ron’s chair, waking him up from the mass of books he made as his headrest, “What could matter the most to you that’s not a material object?”

Emily’s eyes wandered to Harry, who was reading about Herbology in hopes of finding a plant to support them with oxygen for an hour. She felt her breath being taken away from her as she saw the very image of her father in Harry, then; it hit her, “What if it isn’t a material?” Emily asked, looking back at Hermione, “What if it’s a person?”

“Don’t be absurd.” Hermione said with a dry laugh, “Think about it, do you really think Dumbledore would let students be planted underwater with creatures like mermaids and the giant octopus?”

Emily shrugged, leaning against a book case, “Harry and I fought two Dragons not 3 weeks ago, and you think Dumbledore wouldn’t let students go underwater for an hour? You’re the one being absurd, Hermione.” She said accusingly, “This task is a test in every way, Granger. How can you hold your breath for an hour underwater? Where are the hostages held? How can you ward off mermaids? What’s your plan of attack?”

Ron looked at Emily and then, to Hermione, “She does have a point, maybe put a deep sleep spell on those blokes or make them drink this potion of some sort...” He turned to Harry who in return stared blankly at him, “What do you think, mate?”

Harry sighed, closing the green leather bound book in front of him, and said, “I don’t think anything. Well, maybe something. Let’s not put what or who’s been taken from us in the equation, let’s just think about the fact that we have to go under the Black Lake for one hour. Think about that.”

“I’m sure Neville can help you,” Said Luna, coming out from the book case behind Emily, “He is rather good with Herbology and such.” She added her voice light and soft. Emily looked at her, surprised, “Were you there the whole time?”

She nodded, glancing at the tower of Herbology books, “I was actually looking for you, someone said you’d be here so, I went here. I heard Hermione saying how absurd it was for Dumbledore to let students be held underwater for an hour,” Luna looked at Hermione, her expression detached, “It’s not absurd, it’s very possible for him to do that.”

“I’m sorry, what did you come here for?” Hermione asked through grit teeth, clearly annoyed. Ron say this and muffled his laughter, she noticed this and smacked him at the back of his head with her hand.

“Oh, right! I came to give you this.” Said Luna, handing Emily a hard bound black leather book with the words Vampires and Other Shape shifting Creatures by Amelia Grace-Wellington, “That should shed some light on your problem.”

Harry walked towards his sister, glancing at the cover of the book, “I don’t mean to pry but what exactly is your problem that requires a book of Shape shifting creatures?” He asked, confused.

“Oh, you didn’t tell him.” Luna said airily, “I should get going now; I’ll see you later, Emily.” She fled from the scene with haste, not wanting to hear the soon-to-be argument of the Potter twins. Harry took the book from his sister’s hands forcefully, “Let me see that,” He then flipped through the pages, reading the notes Luna left along the margin, “You cannot be bloody serious about this, Em.”

She took back the book, tucking it in her bag, “It’s a theory.”

“Well, it’s not a very good one.”