The Three Fears

Harry sat in the far corner of the Common room, resting his head against the cool stone wall as he contemplated the various events that happened not 7 minutes ago. The Gryffindor Common Room seemed to be acting like the usual, every one buzzing with life and such; only Harry, Ron, and Hermione looked drained and out of place.

Ginny noticed this and excused herself from her group of friends and approached the three, her blue eyes looking steady and determined. She sat herself down next to her Hermione, looking at the three curiously, “Aren’t you lot a sight for sore eyes,” Ginny said with a smile as she glanced at Harry, “Has Emily given her word?”

He shook his head in reply, feeling the letter in his pocket weighing him down to the bottom of the Black Lake, “She... she doesn’t want to be bothered at the moment, if she wants to talk to us she’ll talk.” Ginny’s jaw slacked, her expression vivid with audacity, “She doesn’t want to be bothered? Who is she? The bloody queen of England, I reckon.” She said, her tone of voice going high.

“Ginny, maybe she’s not thinking straight –“

“Or, she just wants a few days of quiet. You can’t blame the girl, living the life she has.” Ron said interjecting, “Sorry to be a stick in the mud but come on, Harry, if you were in her shoes in a quiet little room in St. Mungo’s... Would you still keep in correspondence? Wait no scratch that bit. This is Emily we’re talking about, we have no clue what’s going on in that head of hers. We all know she acts on impulse, her little game of silence will die down before you know it.”

She began twisting the ring on her finger, remembering the moments of how absurdly stubborn Emily was. Harry saw this nervous habit of Ginny’s and consoled her, “It’ll be all right, Gin. She’ll come home soon.” He said. Her cheeks flustered for a moment at his kind gesture, but she knew he wasn’t just reassuring her, he was reassuring himself.

Then, Harry remembered his original plan before Snape had intervened. He glanced at the ring on Ginny’s finger, a simple gold band with a red stone, “Say, Ginny, you haven’t spoken to Emily, have you?” He asked, motioning to the ring. She shook her head, waves of her hair sliding delicately off her shoulders, “I tried to, but she wouldn’t talk back. I guess she’s taken off her ring and put it away.”

Hermione groaned, taking a stand in front of them, “She’s clearly having her fun there, does that mean we’ll stay mopey here? Here we are, worried about someone who doesn’t want to be worried about. Let’s just get on with our lives.” She said, her eyes showing sympathy over Harry’s problem, “Everything will be back to normal soon.”

~

“Oi, Weasley!” Blaise called out to a man with red hair wearing a smart dark suit, “We need to talk, now.” He said, steering him to an empty corridor.

Percy, fazed by the spontaneous turn of events, started bombarding him with various questions. Blaise looked at him irritably and told him to shut it, “I’m one of Emily’s best mates, you know that, right?”

“Yeah, uh, Zabini, am I correct?”

He nodded, checking left and right to spot any eavesdroppers, “Listen, I need you to pretend to be Emily’s boyfriend for the time being. There’s this guy, her ex, that’s being awfully shady and –“

Percy raised his hand, stopping him from talking, “I barely know you, Zabini, and vice versa. And yet, you’re asking me to pretend to be in a relationship with Emily? A girl who’s currently under intensive care in St. Mungo’s, a girl who’s 4 years younger than me I might add.”

Blaise wanted nothing else to punch Weasley in the gut, but he persuaded his instincts otherwise, “A girl you fancied ever since the Halloween ball a year back,” He said daringly, “Look, her ex –“