Priori Incantatem

"You have been taught how to duel, Harry?" said Voldemort softly, his red eyes glinting through the darkness, "Emily?"

At these words Emily remembered, as though from a former life, the duelling club at Hogwarts she had attended briefly two years ago. ... All she had learned there was the simplest of spells and hexes with a little of her own dark magic which she read from books but she was severely out of practice for those, and what use would it be to deprive Voldemort of his wand, even if she could, she was surrounded by Death Eaters, outnumbered by at least thirty to one? She had never learned anything that could possibly fit herself for this. She knew she was facing the thing against which Moody had always warned, the unblockable Avada Kedavra curse – and Voldemort was right, her father was not here to die for her this time. She was quite unprotected.

"We bow to each other, Potter," said Voldemort, bending a little, but keeping his snakelike face upturned to the twins, "Come, the niceties must be observed. Dumbledore would like you to show manners. Bow to death," The Death Eaters were laughing again. Emily bowed, keeping her face upturned to Voldemort. Voldemort's lipless mouth was smiling. Harry did not bow, he was not going to let Voldemort play with him before killing him. He was not going to give him that satisfaction.

"I said, bow," Voldemort said, raising his wand - and Harry felt his spine curve as though a huge, invisible hand were bending him ruthlessly forward, and the Death Eaters laughed harder than ever. Emily lurched forward, stepping sideward to block Harry from Voldemort, "I'll fight for him." She said rather boldly, pushing Harry back, "I-I'll fight for him."

Voldemort looked at her, perplexed, "And why would I let you do such a stupid thing, Miss Potter?" He said, watching Nagini slither by the twins' feet. Emily merely stared at the snake, her arms still blocking Harry from any kind of harm, "He's wounded, and you wouldn't duel with a wounded wizard, would you? People will say you're weak, that you can only take on wizards when they are in their most vulnerable."

He hissed at this, clearly angry, "Your brother stays out of this," Voldemort then ordered Wormtail to restrain Harry back to the grave stone of Voldemort's father, "Might as well say your farewells, Potters. This will be the last you'll see each other alive." After Wormtail left the restrained Harry, Emily ran to him, whispering into his ear, "I can't do this alone – "

"Then why have me tied up?" Harry whispered back, bewildered, "I can still duel."

Emily shook her head, looking over her shoulder to see if anyone was listening in, "The minute when my wand is connected to Voldemort's, you run to me and help, all right?" She then took out a shard of glass from her pocket and began to cut the rope restraining her brother, "Don't move so much, this rope will snap if you take a step forward. Don't move until I say so, got it?" Harry nodded. Emily smiled sadly, and kissed his forehead before running back to duel Voldemort.

"And now you face me, like a man . . . Straight-backed and proud, the way your father died. . . ." Voldemort said, arching his arm at Emily as he was to shoot an arrow at her, "And now - we duel." He raised his wand, and before Emily could do anything to defend herself, before she could even move, she had been hit again by the Cruciatus Curse. The pain was so intense, so all-consuming, that she no longer knew where she was. . . . White-hot knives were piercing every inch of her skin, her head was surely going to burst with pain, she was screaming more loudly than she had ever screamed in her life. From a distance, Emily heard that Harry was screaming as well, he was angry, wrathful even.

And then it stopped. Emily rolled over and scrambled to her feet; she was shaking as uncontrollably as Wormtail had done when his hand had been cut off; she staggered sideways into the wall of watching Death Eaters, and they pushed her away, back toward Voldemort, "A little break," said Voldemort, the slit-like nostrils dilating with excitement, "A little pause . . . That hurt, didn't it, Emily? You don't want me to do that again, do you?"