A Study in Scottish Gaelic

“Emilie!” A heavily French accentuated voice called, even with all the noise in the Great Hall Emily could still put a name to the voice, “Where arr you going?” Eleanor said with a look of worry shadowing her electric blue eyes, “Why are you leaving zo zoon?” She then walked up to where Emily was before she could even step a foot away from the bench of the Slytherin table.

Emily always found it hard to lie to Eleanor since she had always considered her a part of the Malfoy family, even when she had already broken up with her cousin Eleanor never failed to ask her to spend the summer or any holiday for that matter at Malfoy Manor. No, not the Malfoy Manor where Draco lived, she meant the Malfoy Manor in France where she lives. Emily politely declined of course sensing that her Aunt Minerva would never go out of the country.

“I feel quiet unwell actually,” Emily reasoned, hoping she looked pale enough to look sick, “Would it be such a burden if you’d cover for me just this dinner? Make up any reason, I have to go to Madam Pomfrey and have my check-up. I feel something maybe wrong.”

Eleanor nodded obediently, looking at the mass of people sitting in the Slytherin table, “Very vell, but I think you’ll lezzen zuzpicion if you arr unzeen when you leave the Great Hall. People might think you are up to something.” She said with a wink, going back to her seat with the same happy demeanour as if nothing had happened.

Emily took her advice on account and sat back down on her seat. She had a feeling Eleanor knew what she was up to, by the look on her face she looked like how the world was going to end Eleanor always knew something before you even know it. Emily was determined to go back to her dorm room to check what Fred and George had put in that leather pouch, knowing that they stole it from Filch she assumed it was nothing good.

Sneaking under the table and shrouding herself with the invisibility cloak was more difficult than she thought it would be, after several bumps to the head from the table and several pairs of shoes stepping on her hands, Emily got away from the Slytherin captivity invisible without anyone noticing. She looked around to see if anyone was looking for her but to her luck no one seemed to have, except for Professor Moody who was looking directly at her from the teacher’s table.

Emily ran for it. She hung on tightly of her invisibility cloak, jumping multiple steps of the moving stair cases as if she had a death wish of some sort. When she finally reached the portrait heading for the Slytherin porthole, she balled up the cloak in her fist and said, “Bloody Baron.” She ran inside before the portrait was fully open.

Emily sat in the far corner of the common room and took out the leather pouch in her bag, emptying it of its contents on her lap. The first item that intrigued her was a tin box no bigger than a deck of cards with a label that said CLAN MACKENZIE LOCK PICKING KIT. Curious, she looked at the back of the box to further acquire some knowledge of it but unfortunately the remaining text was written in Scottish Gaelic – a language unknown to her.

The next item was a wooden box that fit perfectly in her palm; there was no inscription or note of what it contained so Emily opened it with great caution to only reveal that the box housed a great white opal nestled on a bed of silk. She had no clue what to do with it, suspecting the opal to be something poisonous or something evil she left it be next to the lock picking kit.

 The third item was what Emily saw to be a brooch decorated with various pink pearls. She couldn’t fathom what kind of mayhem the magical object did to end up being in Filch’s file cabinet, or if it possessed any magic at all for the matter.

The third object was...A wand. Nothing curious about that, but Emily noted to herself to ask Fred and George about it. Or maybe Ollivander.

The fourth and last object was lipstick. At first, Emily laughed about thinking how an innocent scarlet tube of lipstick ended up confiscated and locked up in Filch’s but then she saw the inscription engraved on the side. Emily had no knowledge of what language the engraving was written in but she no longer felt that the lipstick was no longer innocent as she thought it was.